High Heat or Low Heat

Jim McKelvey

TVWBB All-Star
Kevin - thank so much for joining us for a few days and answering all these questions!

I'm relatively new to BBQ and have no opinion on the topic, but I'm curious if you are a low heat or a high heat guy for the staples - brisket, butt and ribs? If you could tell us your preference for each and a short explanation why?

Thanks again - appreciate all the great insights! Jim

Jim,
It is my pleasure!!

My preference is as follows

Ribs- 225-250 smoked with a combination of apple or cherry and mesquite. I find the best results when I keep temperatures in this zone and use the Texas crutch to finish them up.

Butts- 225-250 smoked with a combination of apple or cherry and mesquite woods. Again, I find the best results keep temperatures low and slow and finishing with the Texas crutch. With shoulder I do like to put it in a cooler for at least an hour after it has been smoked.

Brisket- 250 is what I hoping for because it has given me the best results overall. It's almost a marriage of a hi-temp brisket and a low and slow method. Especially with brisket, I always use the Texas crutch. It is imperative to place the brisket in a cooler for at least an hour preferable 2 after it comes off the smoker to help it relax and become fork tender.

Let me know if you want me to elaborate on any of the above topics.

Thanks
Kk

Back