Pizza Tools

Scotty W.

TVWBB Super Fan
Looking for a good quality pizza stone and peel. There are a bunch on Amazon but I have no idea what to look for in a quality set. Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Hi Scotty,

I have a round pizza stone, but would buy a rectangular one if I were to replace the very seasoned, well worn one I do have. America's Test Kitchen recommends the Old Stone Oven 14 x 16 which you can buy at Amazon. For peels, I have a wooden one that I "build" pizza on and use to put the pie on the stone. I switch to a thin metal peel for taking the pizza out of the oven; it's just easier to get it under the pie.

Brickovenbaker.com has a nice selection of pizza tools to browse as well.

I built a wood fired oven two years ago and now make pizza only in that. It's been great fun learning to make very thin crust pizzas and having friends over. The floor of the pizza oven works best at aroun 800 to 850 and pizzas only take two to three minutes to bake.

Scotty W.,
Pizza, in my experience, will be as complicated as you are willing to make it. There are several overarching types of pizza and then a myriad of variations under those main types. I hesitate to recommend a blanket stone because each type of pizza needs a different cooking environment. I guess it depends on how serious you want to get about making pizza.

For examples, a New York Style pizza will bake best on a 1/2 inch steel plate in a residential oven, a Neopolitan pizza is almost impossible to achieve in a residential oven but will need a stone in the event you want to try, a cracker style crust (like Pizza Hut's Thin & Crispy) is baked in a cutter pan, usually on no stone at all, a deep dish or Detroit Style or Sicilian style is baked in a special pizza pan, sometimes on stones, sometimes not. The rabbit hole of pizza making is really deep.

That being said, the stone I have is a Fibrament 16" round stone and have been very happy with it. But I am trying to perfect a NY style pizza so I am looking at a steel plate at the moment. If you have any more questions, please ask. I love to talk pizza.

A Weber 22 is Purr-Feck-Toe for many pizzas. If your reference to thin crust means "cracker style crust" ... very thin and crispy, your oven may serve you better, as it will for a "stuffed" or Chicago style pizza. But for Neapolitan/New York styles, standard thin crust and such, take a peek at the Kettle Pizza insert, then the Serious Eats hacks for it which involve 2 pizza stones, one for the food grate, one to rest on a second food grate that is suspended as a roof. Once you check out photos and read the modification Serious Eats made, it will make sense.

I have a Red Sky 21 inch D shape stone for my Weber. I have a 15 inch stone the Pizza Kettle folks sold for my ceiling. Charcoal and a couple of pieces of hardwood and you can be turning out uber-good pizza like you had your own wood fired pizza oven in your backyard. How trick is that? I've seen guys take old Webers Kettles and convert them to propane, which must make someone spin in their grave, but it works pretty well and doesn't need to be fed again if you are making a bunch. You are looking for 650F to 700F temp on the cooking stone. The second stone holds heat and along with a layer of aluminum foil deflects the charcoal & wood heat over the top of the pizza to cook that. Time on the cooking stone once it is heated up is a matter of minutes - 3 to 5 minutes. If you have raw meats, you may want to cook them prior to using as a topping.

You can see a number of approaches on YouTube if you search for the Pizza Hacker and his "FrankenWeber" or Pizza Kettle for the unit I mentioned above.

Thank you all for the comments and education. I did order a stone and peel and supposed to arrive today. The adventure begins.

Back