Grinding Peppercorns

Jim Creasy

TVWBB Fan
Stupid Question. Can I use one of those small electric coffee grinders to crack my peppercorns or will I pulverize them too quickly?

Thanks

JKC

If you just want them cracked I think the grinder is not what you want, you can just press them under a heavy pan. If you are looking for a coarse grind I do that all the time with my little coffee grinder (the kind with the spinning blade). Just linit time to a second or so.

You can try this if you need alot of Pepper in a hurry.
a>

If there isn't already an electric pepper mill you just invented it my friend.
Truth be told, I saw A.B. do it on "Good Eats"
icon_rolleyes.gif
It works for other fresh spices too.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Nice idea. I think the RPMs on my electric grinders are a bit lower than this one..
icon_smile.gif

Think of what you can do if you attach a Dremel!

You can also put 'em on a flat chunk-o-stone, and tap 'em gently with a hammer.

Quick, easy, and a great way to relieve tension! Also easy to control - the more you pound 'em the finer they get.

You are quite right, but the idea of making food using power tools is somewhat appealing. That said, using a hi- speed motor on a pepper grinder is a recipe for disaster.
icon_smile.gif

I have tried to make several recipes tagged "Cooking for men". Making a spiced pork roast using an electric drill was quite a success. (Drill holes while frozen, fill with spices and thaw in the fridge for four days. Roast.)
My attempt on Creme brulee with a cutting burner, not so sucessful.
icon_smile.gif

That said, using a hi- speed motor on a pepper grinder is a recipe for disaster.
The Drill in the photo is my Rigid 18 volt VARIABLE SPEED. I put it on Low speed/high torque, grip the Mill firmly and gently squeeze the trigger. 15 to 20 seconds later I either have lots of fresh Cracked Pepper or a big mess. ACHOO!

I use a Black and Decker Burr coffee grinder. Does the trick, you can adjust between a course and medium fine grind. Just run rice through it after grinding to clean and deflavor....

For really fine grind buzz it in a blade coffee grinder.

41QBC2iFGFL._AA380_.jpg

Originally posted by Mac McClure:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That said, using a hi- speed motor on a pepper grinder is a recipe for disaster.
The Drill in the photo is my Rigid 18 volt VARIABLE SPEED. I put it on Low speed/high torque, grip the Mill firmly and gently squeeze the trigger. 15 to 20 seconds later I either have lots of fresh Cracked Pepper or a big mess. ACHOO! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry, I did not mean your drill when I thought of Hi speed. I was thinking more in lines of a Dremel 4000, max speed is 35000 RPMs..
icon_smile.gif

The idea of using a cordless drill this way is brilliant. I will copy it for sure.

Sure. If you could find a way of cooling the pepper mill using liquid nitrogen, it might work.. Impressive!

One of the best things I have done for myself lately was order coarse grind pepper from Penzy's. I threw it in as an after thought on an order of BBQ 300 Galena Street Rub, and Arizona Dreaming. The pepper is great and having a big bag of it ready to go has been handy. Ok back to the power tools....

I use a $10 blade coffee grinder. It's fairly easy to control the grind....the longer you let it spin, the finer the pepper. Keep the grinder just for spices unless you want really funky tasting coffee.

Linda

Back