California > Monterey: Henry's BBQ (CLOSED)

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
THIS RESTAURANT CLOSED ON AUG 31, 2014

Henry's BBQ
401 Lighthouse Ave, Monterey, CA
http://www.henrysfamousbbq.com/

Since 2008, I've been driving past this place every time I visit Monterey, but I never stop and try the food. Tonight we stopped for dinner.

We ordered two 2-meat combo plates: one spareribs + pulled pork, the other spareribs + hot link sausage.

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

Honestly, had I not seen a smoker burning in the parking lot, and mesquite and oak woods mentioned on the menu, I'm not sure I would have known any of the meats had been smoked. It's fair to say the smoke flavor is subtle. Perhaps that's what they're going for. I would have liked just a bit more.

The pulled pork was advertised as "Hawaiian-style", and served in a little bowl "in its own smokey broth" with a squirt of BBQ sauce on top. No smoke flavor that I could discern whatsoever. Kalua pork is usually just salted and roasted. That seems like what I got, except for the odd broth thing.

The hot link sausage was modest in size, split down the middle, and given some grill marks. It was spicy, as advertised.

The spareribs were cooked very well. Nice and tender, but not falling off the bone--and I didn't falling off the bone, so high marks there. They were very meaty, too. But only two ribs served as part of the combo plate, and again, very hard to pick up the smoke flavor.

Nice dining area, with an outside patio for warmer weather. Nice selection of beers on tap. Pet friendly...a big deal in Monterey. Very good service...we were seated right away, friendly wait staff, questions about the menu were well-answered, food came promptly, food was hot, checked back several times to make sure things were OK. No complaints there. And a clean, well-stocked restroom!

We did not get to try the chicken or the beef. There was no brisket during our visit...instead a "10-ounce beef sirloin roast" was available. Although I see brisket listed on the PDF menu on their website, so maybe brisket comes and goes.

So...if you're in Monterey and really, really need some barbecue, give Henry's a try. We may go back again, but I'm likely to try a burger next time.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Just might have to make a pit stop there when i go to Monterey... I wonder how many time's i've passed by with out notice..... Chris did you take in the size of any other plate's well there?

This restaurant closed on August 31, 2014. A post on Yelp says that Henry closed the joint and moved out of the area. Drove by in early November and noticed it's being converted into a Thai restaurant.

Back