Firewire skewers

Mike Leiter

TVWBB Pro
I did a search and most talks about them were close to two yrs ago.. Anyone still using these and like them? Amazon gave me a 20.00 credit for a error they made and was thinking about using it for these. We do a bunch of shishkabobs in the summer and this would make it easier although bamboo skewers are cheaper to use in the long run...They would be great for larger batches of chicken on a stick..
Just wondering peoples opinions on them that have used them..

Last edited:
Mike I've been using two of them or close to a year now. Primarily for smaller potatoes. I would probably use them more often except I have a kabob set I really like. For the right things, they are pretty useful. i suspect if you get them, you'll be glad you did.

Thanks Rolf..In a way since Amazon is giving me a free $20.00 credit and that pays for these they are in a way " Free " in the long run. I was just curious if people who had bought them continued to use them after the initial novelty wore off. I usually just buy the 1-2 dollar packs of a bunch of bamboo skewers and use them..No clean up and easy to use but you end up just throwing them away which is a waste....

Mike I've never had real good luck with the skewers. For some reason the food always "turns' on me. Here is the kabob set up and here is a typical Firewire set up.
036-L.jpg

Chops%201312%20002-L.jpg

I think we have the same color counters and even Kichen-aid mixer...LOL That first set is nice and I can see how the food wouldn't turn with dual rods through them..I have a rack like that but has single rod skewers. Wife hates to clean it and reason we went with bamboo ones as the metal wasn't a no-stick or wash clean friendly version.

I have these double Weber skewers, but without the fancy holder. I like them a lot, since the food does not turn around when you want to grill the other side of the food inserted. I just throw mine in the dishwasher, and I have no problems when it comes to cleaning. I use these, and the firewire I have stays in the bottom of my "grill-gadget drawer".

I bought a couple to try, then added two more, then another two and finally another two. They work for me and food doesn't spin.

Interesting comments but no real conclusion --would like to hear more. My wife bought me a pair for our last anniversary, but they sit in my cabinet unused. I too like thin bamboo skewers and double them if needed to prevent spinning. I soak a bunch and store in a paper towel tube in the freezer removing a few when desired.

Rich

If cooking your skewers indirect....Witch i almost do everytime. The soaking isent needed. The PROS with the wires is that you can add TONS of food. Sure i have had a few spin arounds...Witch is not perfect in my eye´s. But with these you can line up around the fire,During the marinete on the skewers. As Jim said get a pair and ill bet you will love em. 52 " Skevers and it could easily be added another another wire or 2. That is some killer ones ppl : http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?12324-52-Dinner&highlight=fire+wire

006xxc.jpg

010ook.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments and suggestion on using them. I used the 20.00 credit to buy a 4 pack of the Firewire brand ones for 16.80 shipped free. Amazingly they will be here Mon using Amazons prime free shipping. I figure I can use them on chicken on a stick and the like and for most of my shishkabobs. On the smaller stuff or more delicate I will keep using my bamboo on I have stocked up on.I`ll give them a try Tues with some large shrimp and see how they do...

Well I used two of them tonight on my gas grill. I made chicken on a stick but used these for the sticks..Worked pretty nice but I can see how some foods would just spin around on them. I had cut up chicken thighs and even some large shrimp and it was okay for that. I was able to string up all the food on just the two Firewire strands I used vs multiple bamboo skewers I normally use. Clean up was a breeze in the end so that was a plus. So far I give them a good mark but time will tell with a few more cooks with them on how they work with other foods.

Interesting comments but no real conclusion --would like to hear more. My wife bought me a pair for our last anniversary, but they sit in my cabinet unused. I too like thin bamboo skewers and double them if needed to prevent spinning. I soak a bunch and store in a paper towel tube in the freezer removing a few when desired.
Rich
well Rich, you have them, use them and conclude for yourself. You have nothing to lose.
What i like BEST about them is:
1) string whatever you like then toss the whole thing in a bag for marinating.
2) once on the grill, set around the outer wall of the grill (as Daniel's photo shows) or weave in-between other items on the grill.

Back