Positioning of top grate

Don Fry

TVWBB Super Fan
Thanks to another member of the board, I finally have the last of the things coming that I will need to build a mini WSM using my SJ Gold I have been reading through the threads playing catch up and wanted to bounce a couple of questions off the collective group here for your thoughts. I am thinking seriously about building it with the intent of mainly only ever using a single grate for cooking, at least for now. Given my intent, how far from the top should I put this grate? Chris recommended 4 inches in his write up but I know some other went lower. Guess my real question is how low can I go and still have room to add a second grate on top of the terra cotta pot if I opt to go that route later? Was there a time when you wish that you had given yourself more room on the top or the bottom? Building this for the fun of it and to use for shorter cook stuff like chicken and ribs.

I went with Chris's 4 inches for my first one, but with subsequent builds I've gone to 5". I like the added space for larger food (whole chickens, 8# butt, etc), and the small lower space hasn't been an issue for me yet. For taller foods, I usually just use the bottom grate without the top grate, this works very well also.

I went with Chris's 4 inches for my first one, but with subsequent builds I've gone to 5". I like the added space for larger food (whole chickens, 8# butt, etc), and the small lower space hasn't been an issue for me yet. For taller foods, I usually just use the bottom grate without the top grate, this works very well also.
Hey, hey! Totally new to the forums, been lurking for a while now. So, first off, a big hello to all as well as huge thanks for all the great info shared on the topic of this great little smoker! I too have been pondering this question as well. I'm just getting all my mats together for my first build, using a SJG & the Vasconia pot off Amazon. How many inches from grate to dome top (using original SJ lid) will there be when placing the grate at 5"? I'm planning to use a modded charcoal grate for an 18.5" that will sit all the way at the bottom of the pot (bottom cut out & clay or pan diffuser resting on top of that) and a second cooking grate resting on the bead/belt of the pot. Basically I'm trying to maximize headspace for both cooking grates. When it comes to the larger items, I'm looking to have the ability to smoke small chickens & butts on both racks. Just trying to make my little one as versatile as possible. Any info on best placement for the top would be much appreciated. This project is something I'm having tons of fun researching & planning so, again, many thanks to all who have shared their process, progress & ideas. Can't wait to get smokin!

I did my top grate at about 5" its not bad im able to fight a 9 pd pork butt on the bottom with no problem. I would maybe have did 4 1/2 instead.

No matter wherer you position the screws for the grates you will sooner or later run into a situation where you wish it was defferent. Figure out the size of your most frequent/largest cooks and plan from there. I did my first one at 4 1/2 inches. I just built two more mini's for Christmas gifts and went with 5 inches on them.

-rog

I went 4" and haven't had a problem with my single grate (yet). ...but I use a pretty deep water pan (I prefer water for lower temp cooks).

I drilled my holes at 4 1/2" and wish I had gone 5".
Take into consideration that from the center of your hole to the top side of your grate is probably half an inch by the time you get it all done.

Back