First Turkey on the smoker

Tom Rotta

TVWBB Fan
Let me start by wishing everyone a happy Thanksgiving. We hope everyone's Turkey day will be filled with great food and loving family.

My wife and I are on our own this year, so I will be smoking an 8# turkey breast on the WSM. This will be my first every attempt at turkey on the smoker. Hoping it goes well. Wife will take care of all the sides. I searched and searched but was not able to find an un-enhanced breast so... I"ll be skipping the brine. I plan on keeping it simple... S&P, onion power and garlic powder. Planning on smoking with few small pieces of cherry wood. I will admit I'm a little nervous as to how it will turn out. Pictures will be posted to let you all know how it goes.

I work from home tomorrow, then I'm off until Tuesday. I think I will also attempt some ribs on my (yet to be smoked on) wsm mini on Saturday or Sunday. Seeing Rush in concert Sunday night. So I'm looking forward to a great weekend. Hope everyone ALSO has a great weekend. :)

Let me start by wishing everyone a happy Thanksgiving. We hope everyone's Turkey day will be filled with great food and loving family.

My wife and I are on our own this year, so I will be smoking an 8# turkey breast on the WSM. This will be my first every attempt at turkey on the smoker. Hoping it goes well. Wife will take care of all the sides. I searched and searched but was not able to find an un-enhanced breast so... I"ll be skipping the brine. I plan on keeping it simple... S&P, onion power and garlic powder. Planning on smoking with few small pieces of cherry wood. I will admit I'm a little nervous as to how it will turn out. Pictures will be posted to let you all know how it goes.

I work from home tomorrow, then I'm off until Tuesday. I think I will also attempt some ribs on my (yet to be smoked on) wsm mini on Saturday or Sunday. Seeing Rush in concert Sunday night. So I'm looking forward to a great weekend. Hope everyone ALSO has a great weekend. :)

Tom, best Thanksgiving wishes back at you. Your turkey breast will be fantastic; you'll never put one in an oven again after you've had one off a smoker. Good luck with the ribs, too.

I just saw Rush a couple of months back here in the Twin Cities, MN. Terrific show. Those guys are real pro's and they give you your money's worth - about 3 hours of music. Check out Beyond the Lighted Stage when you get a chance

-Dave.

Happy Thanksgiving to you Tom! The turkey breast and ribs will be amazing. I would suggest you consider brining the breast at least for a little while. I've done both ways and found that a brined bird always seems to turn out tastier...not necessarily juicier but tastier.

Back