The "Enhancement" Controversy

ChristopherB

I'm looking for a non-enhanced bird for brining, but I'm finding that even if they say that the bird is natural with no added enhancements, etc., if you look at the small nutritional info on the package, they all say 2-3% sodium. Is that enough to be concerned about?

I think that may be naturally occurring sodium in the turkey, not added sodium.

If the label says something like, "May contain up to XX% of a solution of Water, Salt, Spices to Enhance Tenderness and Juiciness", then you're looking at an enhanced turkey.

If it says, "Minimally processed, may contain up to xx% retained water", it's not enhanced.

Turkey Selection & Preparation - Terminology

Regards,
Chris

Is that 2-3% your % Daily Value? Because sodium is usually measured in mg on nutritional labels. I'll have to take a look at some turkey labels when I go to the store tonight.

Regards,
Chris

I couldn't find natural turkey at the supermarket tonight, but I did find chickens in bags with nutritional labels on the back. Minimally processed, no salt added. A 4-ounce serving of chicken contains 80 mg of sodium, which is 3% of your daily value. So I suspect those are the numbers you're seeing on natural turkey. It's sodium that's naturally part of the meat, not due to enhancement.

Regards,
Chris

"May contain up to XX% of a solution of Water, Salt, Spices to Enhance Tenderness and Juiciness", then you're looking at an enhanced turkey.

At the risk of parsing words to an extreme, what if the % is closer to 7% instead of 2% or 3%, but the dreaded language above is not on the packaging, would you feel safe brining the bird? Am I being too anal about this?

There are lots of folks who brine basted/enhanced turkeys and like them just fine. I think it has a lot to do with your sensitivity to salty foods.

One idea...if you're sensitive to saltiness and you have a 3% enhanced turkey, you may want to try keeping the brine the same, but shortening the brine time.

Regards,
Chris

I got out into the Thanksgiving supermarket crush today and came across Diestel brand organic whole turkey. In a 4 ounce serving, there's 70mg of sodium, which is 3% of daily value. So there's your definitive answer, ChristopherB! That sodium is a natural part of the bird! :)

Gobble gobble,
Chris

Back