Stoneware for Pizzas?

I have the BGE stone (14", I think). I went with a smaller stone in the hope of getting more airflow and so higher temperatures on the top of the pizza.

In the end I see myself ending up with the BGE stone on the main grill and a Red Sky stone supported above it on a couple of firebricks (or the charcoal baskets) to provide extra heat to the top of the pizza. That would be a wicked system, I think...

I have my wife's ex-college apartment $10 Walmart stone because she got a Pampered Chef model for inside. No complaints and I've been using it for a few years.

Find a ceramic shop and get a kiln shelf. You can find many different sizes and shapes ranging from square, rectangle, round, and half-round. Most I ever paid was $20 for a 16 inch round. These things will take a LOT of heat!

Find a ceramic shop and get a kiln shelf. You can find many different sizes and shapes ranging from square, rectangle, round, and half-round. Most I ever paid was $20 for a 16 inch round. These things will take a LOT of heat!

That's a great first post. I hope I remember that when my Wally World stone finally gives up.

Welcome aboard!

Hello, thank you for the information. I googled kiln shelf in my zip code. Can you recommend a specific shelf material? So far, I see nitride bonded silica carbide, hi alumina & corelite. A specific brand of nitride bonded silica carbide kiln shelves says any amount of water in "Brand X" refractory components during the rapid heat-up process of the product may cause the product's surface to explode. "... the product must be completely dried before it is used at temperatures exceeding 212°F (100°C)."

Controlling moisture on a cooking surface can be a bit problematic.

I've had mine since 86. Picked it up at a local Italian grocery which specializes in Pizza making supply's. It's 16" round with raised legs, imported from Italy IIRC and was about 20 dollar.
A little tip I found out by accident, is to leave it in the oven when on "Self Clean" cycle. Comes out just like new..

Tim

Hello, thank you for the information. I googled kiln shelf in my zip code. Can you recommend a specific shelf material? So far, I see nitride bonded silica carbide, hi alumina & corelite. A specific brand of nitride bonded silica carbide kiln shelves says any amount of water in "Brand X" refractory components during the rapid heat-up process of the product may cause the product's surface to explode. "... the product must be completely dried before it is used at temperatures exceeding 212°F (100°C)."

Controlling moisture on a cooking surface can be a bit problematic.
Gene_N, the ones I have bought have been corelite. That is also what I have seen recommended by the "experts". I usually go for the 1/2" thick ones. I have never heard of an issue with them exploding from moisture but I'm sure it could happen. However if you store them inside and don't immerse them in water I don't think it would be an issue. Surface moisture is not a problem as it just evaporates. I think you will like these shelves. They are quite sturdy and have good mass.

I use the 16" Primo stone. Glazed on one side. Big mass if cooking a few in a row. A bit Pricy...But nice.

Be sure to get one at least a 1/2" thick. Any less and the heat retention will be so minimal that you won't get good spring in the dough. Recovery is pretty huge in good pizza and the way it springs during that initial launch and also the way it browns on the bottom.

If you can find it, I'd try to go with one at least 3/4" thick, and even better at 1" thick. Bare in mind though that it will take a good bit longer for the stone to hit the same temps a thinner stone will.

I've also seen HUGE proponents of steel baking surfaces cut from 3/'4 inch or thicker steel plate, but never seen it used in a grill, only home ovens. It definitely works a lot better than stone in a home oven though. A grill may provide too much bottom heat though and allow the bottom to overcook before the top gets any hint of color. Pale pizza = yuck!

Back