How much fuel??

Tim D.

TVWBB Fan
I am planning on smoking an 18lb turkey on my 18.5" WSM this coming Sunday and was wondering about how much fuel people use. I was thinking about 2 chimneys full of lit charcoal. Think that would be enough to get the heat up (without water in the pan), or maybe put some unlit pieces to prolong the heat? Just wondering. Thanks for all your help!

Tim

Two full will probably get you there...no water. I would throw two full lit in and add unlit to fill rest of bowl to be sure.

Unless you have 2 chimneys going at the same time, I would just load the bottom ring with unlit than add I fully lit chimney on top.

You can also crack the lid or prop the door for higher heat if the WSM is not cooperating.

Tim

Last edited:
I am going to try to borrow my neighbors chimney so I can run two at a time. Would you recommomend putting the bird on the bottom rack or keeping it on the top? I would think it would cook quicker and hotter on the bottom, but also don't want to risk burning the skin. Thanks again for your help!

Tim

Tim,

There won't be any real difference in cooking temps between the 2 racks so I'd cook on the top as a matter of convenience. What cooking temp are you shooting for? If you use a water pan (even empty) it will act as a buffer and you shouldn't have worry about burning the skin. 2 full chimneys of lit will make for a very hot fire; watch your temps and try to catch them on the way up (adjust vents accordingly about 30* below target cook temp).

Paul

Paul,

I'm looking at 325-350 range for the temps. Maybe you're right with 2 lit chimneys. Maybe I'll go with 1 full lit chimney and dump unlit on top. I just want to make sure I can get the temps up to that range for the length of time it takes to cook the turkey. I'm figuring about 3 hours for an 18lb bird at 325-350 (based on what I've read in the forums). I'll have temp gauges in the thigh and breast at the same time. Thanks for your help and advice!

Tim

Back