science of cast iron cooking

I'm blinded by the science! Actually,that's a really good article. Afew years ago,I was talking with a buddy of mine and his wife said she was going to buy a set of the latest nonstick pans. I told her to save her money and just buy the original nonstick,cast iron. She didn't think I was funny! Funny thing was,I was being serious!

Interesting comments about polished cast iron.

A few years ago I was looking for a cast iron skillet larger than the one I inherited from my Mom. I saw new ones, but they were as coarse as a concrete block. Now I know why; no polishing.

I punted on a new skillet and ended up buying a nice Wagner on eBay. As long as you stick with serviceable cast iron cookware and steer clear of the collectable ones, you can get a good deal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cutchen:
Interesting comments about polished cast iron.

A few years ago I was looking for a cast iron skillet larger than the one I inherited from my Mom. I saw new ones, but they were as coarse as a concrete block. Now I know why; no polishing.

I punted on a new skillet and ended up buying a nice Wagner on eBay. As long as you stick with serviceable cast iron cookware and steer clear of the collectable ones, you can get a good deal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been buying "collectable" Griswold cast iron for 20 years. I have about 40 pieces and I use all of the pieces I've purchased. I just ensure the ones I buy are in good shape and I don't have any issues using any of them. The oldest one I have/use is close to 100 years old.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've been buying "collectable" Griswold cast iron for 20 years. I have about 40 pieces and I use all of the pieces I've purchased. I just ensure the ones I buy are in good shape and I don't have any issues using any of them. The oldest one I have/use is close to 100 years old. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is exactly what I do. In fact, I usually end up paying less for an old Griswold or Wagner than what a new Lodge goes for. An electrolysis bath and reseason we are ready to cook!

Back