What Thermo

Scott S

Ok looking for a thermo and was wondering what is good? I have read about the Mavericks and was looking do I get the older one or the new one? Do I just get a quick read or ???? All I want it for is when I am cooking on the WSM and checking meat temps. I thought the Maverick might be better as it has a few uses. All info is great thanks in advance!

I use mostly Thermoworks thermometers but the Maverick Industries ET-73 is a very interesting unit. I've heard lots of good things about Maverick's customer support too. If I was buying a simple, not-too-expensive unit to monitor both the smoker temp and the food temp, I'd probably give the ET-73 a try. The wireless reporting can be handy depending on your set up. I BBQ and smoke on my balcony where I will just sit and read or watch the neighborhood, so I don't wander too much. If I was somewhere there were more distractions, I'd probably like the wireless feature.

Get the Maverick ET-732. Better reception. Up to 300'
Easy on/off switch.

My vote here too! I use my ET-732 for grate and meat temps while smoking. But I also rely on my Thermoworks Thermapen for instant read and making sure my meat is done. It's pricey, but well worth it.

Hiya there RC! Check the post on Serious Eats hack for the Kettle Pizza! Need a high temp thermometer for measuring the Weber when use the KP insert!

Nice! I wish I could afford the Kettle Pizza right now but the Performer sucked me absolutely dry! Good luck on finding a good therm, I know a good, reliable, high quality one can be hard to run across.

And BTW Scott S, stay away from the Weber Style wireless thermometer. I picked it up on sale and after I had it opened and destroyed the box beyond return I found out that all it has is preset temps for when the alarm goes off. There is no option to set your own temperature for when the alarm will go off, which pretty much makes it useless for me since they lowest temperature the alarm will set off at is 135 and it will not go above 200 without cutting the thermometer off. It's absolute garbage.

If I had to go with any quick read thermometer I would ante up and buy a Thermapen. I don't have one but I have read so many good things that it seems to be worth the investment. One day though, one day... LOL.

Thermapen from Thermoworks is definitely the way to go. The newer ones are waterproof and virtually instant.

Good to know about the Weber thermo...I was thinking of getting one when my Polder conks out but that darn thing keeps on going.........

Back