mixer

I'm a little biased towards Kitchenaids because I own one, but even their smallest & cheapest mixer is no bigger than other brands. Yes, they are probably more expensive, but they are built like tanks and have the following for good reason...they are great! Just my opinion.

George,we bought a refurbished KA stand mixer last year. LOVE IT! Sorry Chris,but go to Kitchencollection.com and see what they have. We saved half on ours and,like I said,love it!

Now, I do not mean to be snobbish or anything, but I have wondered several times over the past few months why you are so satisfied with your kitchenaids? The main reason is because you give advice that I have not understood, regarding meat grinders and sausage stuffers.

This is more of a general question, not just ment for Tim or Phil.

If you are going to grind some meat, you recommend a stand- alone meat grinder. If you are going to stuff sausages, the same- a dedicated sausage stuffer.

I do not own a KA, and after trying one at a friends' I'm not looking for one at all.
It sure got the looks, but the motor is as far as I have experienced puny and weak, and the attachments are because of that next to useless if you are going to process more than a small portion.

I have a Kenwood major mixer, the motor is twice as strong, 1200 watts, and the unit can grind 10 pounds of semifrozen meat in one go without any problems. The sausage stuffer is excellent, I have never understood your recommendations for a dedicated unit. After trying the KA stuffer, I clearly see the reason why you need the dedicated one.

So- to sum up, I can't see why the KA is a great mixer.

The price for the Kenwood major and a KA is about the same here in Norway. On the major, the meat grinder and sausage maker as well as a blender and a vegetable cutter is included..

I'm not biased towards the Kenwood. I'm sure there is several mixers out there just as good, or better.

i was Blessed with finding a Kenwood mixer here in the states on CL.... 40 bucks!!!!! I love it..... yes it is not as attractive as a KA, but even for the standard model that i have i feel it is far superior to current KA's.

If i had to choose between my 30 yr old Kenwood and my 70+ yr old KitchenAid, i would grab my KA!

George from what i have read in some of your posts, it seems like you like to look for deals at thrift stores. Personally, i think that is your best bet. An older model Sunbeam Mixmaster is definitely a good buy. By older i mean 20+ years.... they are not as pretty, but they will last and they are usually still in great working order. I have a 30 yr old Sunbeam Mixmaster that is runs great. DO NOT buy a new Mixmaster.... all plastic outside and inside.... light as a feather, will not last.

just my .02

My mother has my grandfather's 40+ yr. old Sunbeam Mixmaster. It is all metal and is chromed from the top to the bottom. I like that the base is adjustable, making it able to use at least two sizes of mixing bowls, something that the KA's can't do easily. AFAIK, she still uses it every now & then. I have a 3-speed KA hand mixer which does everything I need it to do and it is fairly well built. I have used it for over 10 years and it shows no signs of slowing down so far.

Trying to sweet talk my Mom into letting us have this Sunbeam mixer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim H.:
My mother has my grandfather's 40+ yr. old Sunbeam Mixmaster. It is all metal and is chromed from the top to the bottom. I like that the base is adjustable, making it able to use at least two sizes of mixing bowls, something that the KA's can't do easily. AFAIK, she still uses it every now & then. I have a 3-speed KA hand mixer which does everything I need it to do and it is fairly well built. I have used it for over 10 years and it shows no signs of slowing down so far.

Trying to sweet talk my Mom into letting us have this Sunbeam mixer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if she doesnt let you have it... tell her i will take it....
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

Original Mixmaster's are really great machines.... but then again i feel that most things that were manufactured over 50 years ago were made with honest, true workmanship.

The different bowl sizes was one of the things that set the Mixmaster apart from the KA's. Personally, i also like the cool sleek look of the original chrome as well.

Back