Thermometer Location

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
I noticed most of you guys put your thermometer on the top of the cooker as opposed to on the side near grate level. Is there a reason for this? I want to install a thermometer but am not sure where to put it.

If placed by the grate, it would have to be removed to install the water pan and lower grate at every cook.

In the lid it is looking right at me. I don't have to bend to look at it. Lid temp is good enough for me. I've yet to use the bottom grate anyway.

Another reason is, that if you put your therm on the side you have to be sure your therm stem is long enough not to be influenced by the heat coming up the sides around the water pan thus giving you a false reading or a temp reading that is hotter than what your actually cooking at. If that makes any sense.
icon_biggrin.gif

That makes perfect sence. I use a Maverick with a little metal clip. It works good but sometimes it gets in the way of the food. Putting a thermometer in a top vent hole will not restrict the air flow?

I have a Taylor Digital Thermometer and I usually just hang the probe end into one of the top vent holes to gauge the lid temp. I will be mounting a Tel-Tru therm into the lid though when it gets above 15º outside...one of these days.

I just did this very mod, and I put mine on the lid, about 1/3 of the way up the lid from the bottom edge. I bought a Tel-Tru BQ300, and I was quite impressed with it. Good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave L.:
That makes perfect sence. I use a Maverick with a little metal clip. It works good but sometimes it gets in the way of the food. Putting a thermometer in a top vent hole will not restrict the air flow? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have no problems with it,here is a pic of what i did,fast and easy.

IMG_0033.jpg

I put mine through the rivet. That way I can close the vent without removing the thermometer. As far as taking temp at the grate versus the lid, I use a pretty long stem on my thermometer. That way I'm reading pretty close to where the food is. If you mounted it anywhere on the lid, you can get close to the food by using a long stemmed thermometer.

One other thing I like about the thermometer through the rivet is that I can easily adjust the thermometer if the meat is in the way (like with a full slab of spares would be).

I have one in the top vent. It now has a few layers of smoke on it. I am going to drill with a Tel-Tru. The new one should stay clean because it will be away from the smoke.

I placed my tel tru therm opposite the top vent on the other side of the handle and equidistant from the handle as the vent. I believe the stem is 3 inches and it does not interfere with the food. Mike

Back