Can the q300 be used without the cart?

Pinny

TVWBB Super Fan
My q 300 came presssembled so that's why I'm asking. Can the q300 be used without the cart? Like for example, can I remove it from the cart, stick it in my trunk, take it to the park, and fire it up on a park table or on the ground?

Pinny
The Q300 is held in the cart by 4 screws, It is removable. However I am not sure if it would be sitting on the drip tray holder you would need to check that. The drip tray holder would need to be a few inches of the table for the cooling air to circulate underneath. In theory it should work. Weight would be a bit of an issue for lifting. The other problem is the size of the lid. I am not sure if it could cause the Q to topple over. Give it a try, just be aware of the things I said.

Let us know how it worked.

Regards

It works! This is great news for me as I have spent the last day or so looking for a new portable grill to replace my SJP. The SJP is just not big enough to feed my family+inlaws, which is where we typically travel to.

Thanks for the response Phil. I checked out your concerns.

1. The legs lift the grill up high enough that it doesn't sit on the drip tray.

2. I don't think the grill has to be lifted up any higher, as there is a little space below the drip tray and several inches between the drip tray and the bottom of the grill.

3. Weight is not any worse than the SJP with ash and leftover charcoal in it.

4. The lid is a bit of a concern. It's not heavy enough to topple the grill, but if you fling it open, it does cause the grill to shake alot. If opened more deliberately, it won't cause any problems.

5. Other issues: The drip tray would need to cleaned out before placing the grill in your car. Also, the whole thing needs to be cleaner than general for it to transported cleanly. Lastly, transporting this thing requires taking the massive tank with you. Is there an adapter you can get to convert it to run off of one or two little tanks.

Overall, this thing is great. Having looked around extensively there is no other portable grill this large (ie: no other grill that can fit in your trunk, and that also has about 400 inches of grilling area, and that can cook indirect nicely).

In Australia we have a 4 Kg (9lb) bottle that I use as a spare and for portable use.

Put a new/clean drip tray in and cover with foil. After the cook just take the foil out and dispose of responsibly.

Check the amout of heat that is under the Q.

regards

Hi Phil,

Speaking of those little foil drip trays, I usually won't chuck them away till they are a bout half full and cold but I have found that they do leak into the tray holder. Have you found that?

Whether I use the Weber or Glad brands or any other for that matter,the drippings seem to seep through to the tray holder and when you do lift the foil tray out of the holder, theres often oil & grease under it.

I'm thinking of perhaps buying some of the dripping (cat litter?) absorbant stuff and putting it in the foil to soak up the drippings.

It's not that I'm lazy to empty it out after every use, it's that they are not cheap to keep replacing everytime you cook.
About every 2 weeks I'll just scrape all the loose bits inside the grill body into the tray whilst cold then dispose of it in a plastic bag.

Oh by the way Phil, the new Q220 is going well, still getting use to the extra oomph of that burner.I gotta clean up the little Q120 and put it on ebay in the next few weeks or I might wait till spring time when people are more BBQ minded and maybe get more for it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers

Davo

Pinny thanks for the info that's great news. I sort of checked out the stand alone capabilities when I was assembling my Q320 and thought it should be workable without the cart.

The clearance under the drip pan is (just under) 1 inch.

Davo, do what phil suggested. Put a sheet or two of foil under the pan. That should provide enough protection to keep it clean until you finally do replace the drip pan. Like you, I replace them only once in a very long time, but a word of caution: I one time waited to long and the grease caught fire and I had huge flames leaping out of the grill. It took a whole huge box of salt to put it out.

Davo
I generally clean the drip tray every 2 weeks. I just remove the foil and giove the tray a wash out. By lining the tray with foil it is easy to clean. I replace the drip tray about every 6 - 8 weeks so my cost is less than 10 bucks a year.
The reason that it leaks is because of the salt and organic matter that mixes in with the liquid in the bottom of the tray, you end up with little pin holes of corrosion which allow evertyhing to flow through. Lining the triptray with a doubled over sheet of foil slows this down.

Pinny
The 300/320 is a dream to cook on. I demonstrated on it this year instead of the 220. I used my foil and triovet method for indirect rather than turning of the centre burner which gave me a lot more cooking area. I found that a lot of the time I just needed to have both burners about 3 or 4 strokes above low for great grilling or roasting. I could get it up to 600 - 650 with both on full after about 15 minutes.

Good luck

Back