California > Los Gatos: The Cats Restaurant & Tavern

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
http://thecatsrestaurantandtavern.com/

There's a lot of history at The Cats in Los Gatos. Parts of the building date back to the 1800s and in years past it's been a stop on the stagecoach line, a rowdy social club, a speakeasy and a bordello. Or so the owners say.

It's a loud, funky, casual, crowded joint that's worth trying if you're in the area. The owner has a quote from Paul Kirk right at the top of the menu, so you know he can't be all that bad of a guy.

The barbecue is slow-smoked over hickory and applewood. The St. Louis style ribs were some of the best ones I've had at a restaurant in recent years. Nice rub, tenderness was just right.

Lots of folks ordering the tri-tip sandwich. The burnt end baked beans tasted great, but looked high and low and couldn't find any burnt ends in there.

Steaks are cooked over red oak. I think you're better off trying the barbecue. Many entrees come with a cheesy little salad in a tiny wooden bowl. Nothing special there.

Loud, rowdy bar area with lots of microbrews on tap as well as a good selection of bottled beers.

Closed on Mondays. No reservations taken unless you've got a group of 7 or more. Get there early or be prepared to wait a while.

Regards,
Chris

Now your speakin' my language Chris! I just passed by it a few minutes ago. It's been a while since I stopped in there. Those old stories are fact. ;)

Back