Stupid Injector question--I need some help!

Petra Z

TVWBB Member
I must admit to being fairly clueless in the ways of the injector. I bought one last year (that had a couple of holes on the side as well). Is that the correct kind to get?

Also, (hanging head in smoke-tinged embarrassment and shame), how do you actually USE it? I had marinade all over the place--my arms, my counters, the outside of the meat--but relatively little INSIDE the meat. Got so frustrated that I wound up donating the thing to Goodwill. Now I'm thinking of trying again (obviously getting a new injector). Any suggestions on what to buy?

The trick is to insert it..Draw back at the same time you inject the meat. Do this right before its smoked or alot of it will be wasted during the rest in the fridge. Im not an expert on this one...And if a injecting competition expert would add his 2 cents it would be great.

*edit* (that had a couple of holes on the side as well)

My needle has the same design!

I have one as well, but came with two tips. One that has the holes in the side and one that looks like a huge needle. I use that one the most...less messy.

Ken

Thanks all! My new injector should arrive today. The recipe I have in mind is smoked pork loin, which starts with a brine. It's injected with apple juice before smoking.

I agree injectors are tricky devices. Slowly pushing on the injector while pulling upwards seems to work for me, although you will still make a mess.
Also make sure any spices that you may use in the injector are finely ground up. I had a terrible experience that resulted in the injection solution exploding all over the kitchen and myself.

Phil

Back