Stoker on a mac?

Stoker supports a browser interface natively. So you should have n problem using it using the browser on the Mac (or even your phone).

My stokerlog program though, is married to Windows so no Mac support there. We may be able to add a web interface to it that you can look at using the browser. Stay tuned for version 6 for that.

Thanks Amir. That's what I was wondering. I'm just not familiar with the stoker. Your stokerlog program has the graph I see people posting correct. Is this software you download to the PC?

That's correct. Without my program/a PC, you won't see the pretty graphs and such. But you can still control the stoker from the PC and check on your cook from anywhere.

Maybe you can find an old obsolete PC to use for this kind of use one day
icon_smile.gif
. Or see if our new web interface gets you some of the features on the Mac...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JARROD FOUTCH:
Will the stoker software work with a mac? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm actually working on new software that will work on a Mac (I'm developing it on a mac), Windows, and Linux. It's still a little early and incomplete, but you can see it in action here:

http://stoker.unconundrum.com/cooks/6

I installed parallels, and Stokerlog runs fine. Found the Stoker just fine. This is such a great program. Of course, I then had twenty questions!
The coolest thing? I can control this from my iPhone. Gives me the "wireless function". Nice!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony Buser:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JARROD FOUTCH:

I'm actually working on new software that will work on a Mac (I'm developing it on a mac), Windows, and Linux. It's still a little early and incomplete, but you can see it in action here:

http://stoker.unconundrum.com/cooks/6 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That looks really cool, Tony!

Bump...

I'm considering a Stoker to handle my dual WSMs. I have a Mac at home along with a PC gaming rig and would love to run the Stoker from my Mac. I was just wondering how the progress was coming along, looking forward to it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric G:
Bump...

I'm considering a Stoker to handle my dual WSMs. I have a Mac at home along with a PC gaming rig and would love to run the Stoker from my Mac. I was just wondering how the progress was coming along, looking forward to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can control it just fine with a MAC. You just don't get the slick recording fdeatures like Amir's program offers. You can also telnet into the stoker and stream the output and import that into spread sheets, then make your own charts. That's somewhat of a PITA however.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric G:
Bump...

I'm considering a Stoker to handle my dual WSMs. I have a Mac at home along with a PC gaming rig and would love to run the Stoker from my Mac. I was just wondering how the progress was coming along, looking forward to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just run parallels. It works fine in there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony Buser:

http://stoker.unconundrum.com/cooks/6 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tony,

Are you still working on this software? I use UNIX mostly, but could install Linux to use it, and I have a Mac also.

I don't use Windows at all, so Amir's software isn't of any value to me.

If you need someone to help make sure your software runs on OpenSolaris, I'd be happy to do that.

I just picked up a stoker today, and upgraded it, and will be testing it this weekend hopefully.

Tony,

I was looking at your cooks last night before I hit the sack, and the graphs are cool, I wasn't sure if it was ajax or not, as it was quick to zoom in the graph, I thought that was pretty slick.

First I need to get a hunk of meat to test that my Stoker is working ok and all...Yes, I think I can install Ruby to test it. I have Mac and Linux also that I can use as a backup.

I'll see if I can clone the tree later and start to figure it out. But first things first, I'm off to find a hunk of meat...:)

Tony,

Curious, why did you select GPLv3 ?

I was just browsing around the readme and license, so was curious, that's all.

Oh wow, I just realized, is the idea that other people could add their stoker to the stoker web?

I'm just digging around your site also...this is cool stuff...I need to get rails setup...that will have to wait, I've got a chicken with a heiney in his heiney to attend to...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan D:
Curious, why did you select GPLv3 ?

I was just browsing around the readme and license, so was curious, that's all.

Oh wow, I just realized, is the idea that other people could add their stoker to the stoker web?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No particular reason. We're working on it on our spare time, so I figured I'd make it opensource so anyone can use it or modify it. Note, it actually is a ruby module which means anyone could use this library to write their own software to communicate with a stoker. The "Stoker Web" piece is just a project that uses that library.

It does have the ability to track multiple stokers. One of the ideas we had was to make it a service where people could register and manage their stokers through a site we host, that way people wouldn't have to install anything on their computers, just open a connection to their stoker remotely. However, I'm not sure we want to go that route. (one of the reasons being security, since there's no way to password protect a stoker, if you opened it to the internet anyone could get to it and monkey around with the settings)

Tony,

I'm interested in helping you possibly, just need some time to get things setup and such.

You could always password protect access to the stoker from the web site you speak of, so that people would need to enter a password for their stoker, and that they would need to provide the IP in order for it to work. Sure, the stoker would be unprotected on the net, but it might be possible to write a wrapper that would allow protected access to it. Food for thought, as they say...(hey, that's good for a BBQ site pun;-).

I am all for open source development, just unclear on the GPLv3, so if I contribute anything to you I need to realize it will be GPLv3.

Recently I was doing some work that involved some code from the NSA, and when I looked at this sources, it made me think...

They license to the public domain with no copyrights on the source. Since government employees are not allowed to hold copyrights, with the exception of rare and/or previous grants. But this makes sense to me. It made me think who people would hold liable if nobody held copyrights on the code...that is after all what licensing does, in most cases it adds a copyright and/or disclaim to the liability. It's an interesting topic, I was just curious why you selected GPLv3, and kinda opposed to it at this point as the Linux community seems in arms about using it also, notably the kernel which will remain GPLv2, from what I can tell.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan D:
I'm interested in helping you possibly, just need some time to get things setup and such.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please do, I'm new to git and am looking forward to trying it's method of merging contributions.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sure, the stoker would be unprotected on the net, but it might be possible to write a wrapper that would allow protected access to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, that's the problem. I have talked to the developer of the firmware on the stoker. Maybe I can suggest that he add that feature...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am all for open source development, just unclear on the GPLv3, so if I contribute anything to you I need to realize it will be GPLv3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know there's all kinds of controversy when it comes to licensing and I'm not too knowledgeable as to the legal intricacies. I actually work for a lawfirm, but I'm not a lawyer, I'm a programmer. I just want to write code, share it, and make sure I can incorporate any improvements someone else makes.
icon_smile.gif

Please do, I'm new to git and am looking forward to trying it's method of merging contributions.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't tell anyone, but this is the first time I've used it. I got it and installed the required packages for git, and just cloned your sources.

I've used most other SCMs, but just not git. Recently I've been working with Mercurial, it's pretty similar from what I can tell about git.
Right, that's the problem. I have talked to the developer of the firmware on the stoker. Maybe I can suggest that he add that feature... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've talked to John also, but before I got my Stoker. This would be a good feature.
I know there's all kinds of controversy when it comes to licensing and I'm not too knowledgeable as to the legal intricacies. I actually work for a lawfirm, but I'm not a lawyer, I'm a programmer. I just want to write code, share it, and make sure I can incorporate any improvements someone else makes.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, lots of controversy over the license issues these days. However, the only license that has stood up in a court of law is the BSD license, and it is also one of the best licenses, IMO, of modern licenses. It allows the use of the code in any way, it is free in that sense. GPL is hypocritical in that regard to me, how can you place restrictions on code and expect people to believe it is free? I have supported Stallman for years, but am now rethinking things as we continue to get deeper and deeper into this license quagmire. After v3 I'm sure there will be a v4, then a v5, it will most likely never end...

Anyway, I'm happy to help possibly, and it's your license, so if I do it will go into your code if you accept the changes. I need to get rails setup, still.

I will be very interested in this as I have held off getting a stoker because I only have power PC macs that don't run parallels (and yes I know about Virtual PC, but it is painfully slow).

Back