Water Pan Smoked Potatoes

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Rita Y in the Beginner's Forum on 4/17/02

------------------
This worked quite well for me the 2 or 3 times I tried it. I suspect that the water keeps the potatoes from picking up too much smoke. I can't remember where I picked up this idea. The Sour Cream Potatoes comes from a Doug McLendon class I took several years ago. I find that smoked foods are good with a creamy side dish.

WATER PAN SMOKED POTATOES

Makes great German Fries (sliced) or Hash Browns (cubed). Toss with a blue cheese sauce or butter or see the recipe for Sour Cream Potatoes below.

Scrub, but don't peel 1 pound medium-sized new potatoes, or quarter 4-6 large red or white potatoes. Check water level in smoker's water pan to cover potatoes and slip them into the water with tongs. Cook about 1 1/4 hours or until done. Quickly reach through side door with tongs and remove a potato; test with the tip of a thin, pointed knife.

SERVE whole, quartered, sliced, diced, or mashed.

I've found that whole red potatoes (3-4 oz each, 2-2 1/4" diameter/max) take about 1 hour.

-------------------------------------------
SOUR CREAM SMOKED POTATOES

Sauce is enough for about 8-12 ounces potatoes, 2-3 servings.

1 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly ground black or green peppercorns
2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives, to taste
Pinch chopped fresh thyme, optional
2-3 tablespoons sour cream, or as much as you feel is decent
Water Pan Smoked Potatoes

SOUR CREAM SAUCE. In a small bowl, combine the salt, black or green pepper, chives, and sour cream. Set aside until just before serving time.

When they are tender, remove the potatoes from the water pan with tongs or a Chinese drainer that will fit through the side door of the smoker. Set aside until just before serving time.

(The recipe can be prepared up to this point and the potatoes can be left at room temperature up to 5 hours before serving.)

Final Cooking

1. If necessary, reheat potatoes gently in the microwave or in a pot with a tablespoon or so of water until heated through. Drain.

2. Add the sauce to the potatoes in the pot and heat over low heat until just heated through and combined. DO NOT BOIL.
---------------------
Rita

Back