Stoker Part II

frank sledjeski

TVWBB Member
also, do the wirs need to be protected in the grill....In other words does the heat mess the wires up over time. If so, what can I protect them with!

The Stoker site states the probes are good up to 450 degrees F. It is my understanding that where you can run into trouble is at the end of your cook. Your food is done, you remove the food from the smoker and don't place the lid back on the smoker. With the lid off you add air to the fire and the temperatures soar. If they get high enough... So remember to place the lid back on the smoker at the end of the cook and/or remove the probes.

Welcome Frank! I've heard of people wrapping their probe wires in tinfoil and then I later read this could create issues with readings; seems like a lot of people do it though so you might want to give it a shot if you're concerned.

I haven't melted a probe yet, which is amazing because I'm usually intoxicated by the end of my cooks. However, one thing I will warn you about is take care not to pull the probe wire from the probe. I've done this trying to remove a probe through a eyelet.

Enjoy your Stoker, they're awesome!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A. Vale:
The Stoker site states the probes are good up to 450 degrees F. It is my understanding that where you can run into trouble is at the end of your cook. Your food is done, you remove the food from the smoker and don't place the lid back on the smoker. With the lid off you add air to the fire and the temperatures soar. If they get high enough... So remember to place the lid back on the smoker at the end of the cook and/or remove the probes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and I speak from experience. If you are going to do something during the cook that takes some time, don't leave the lid off. For instance, foiling ribs: remove all the ribs to a platter, then replace the lid while you're wrapping them in foil.

I wrap my probe in foil, but it's mostly the probe wire I'm wrapping and protecting. The probe gets wrapped only about one inch past the junction of the probe wire. I found that the best way to do it is to cut a 3/24 strip of foil and start wrapping at the probe end. You'll find that you cn protect the probe wire for about 12 inches, which is enough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">cut a 3/24 strip of foil </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ken, What exactly is a 3/24 strip of foil? Is that 3 inches wide, 24 inches long?

Back