Store Bought Pizza SAuce

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
Ok, so I went to GFS the other day and bought large can of thick pizza sauce(their brand).I a doctored it up with spices(Italian seasoning,fennel seed,rosemary,etc.). Found out it's way to thick to spread on the pizza sparingly. I thought about using something like a jar of Ragu sauce per #10 can of the thick sauce to thin it out. Any suggestions or recommendations???

After buying store bought pizza sauces and not being too satisfied with them, I usually just make my own sauce now. It's really easy and cheaper.

I saute grated onion and minced garlic in a little olive oil and then add a large can of store bought tomato sauce. Then add sugar and Italian seasonings, as you did (dried oregano, dried basil, salt, pepper, etc. (not sure about the rosemary though)). I have found that it needs the sugar to cut the acidity...not enough to make it too sweet though. Another thing that I think is pretty important is crushed red pepper...again, not enough to make it hot, just to add some additional seasoning. It adds a lot, IMO and though not evident (heat wise) when in the sauce, is missed when not.

After the tomato sauce goes in a pot add a teaspoon of sugar, a pinch of this and a pinch of that and taste until you've got the flavor you want, adding more pinches as needed. Let it simmer for a 1/2 hour or so and you're done.

I agree with Don and do the same. I use canned crushed tomatoes (San Marzano, Muir Glen, etc.) and sauted fresh garlic in olive oil. To that it's really up to you. You can add basil, oregano, onion, dried red pepper (for heat) to taste. It's very quick, easy and inexpensive. I don't use precise measurements for a sauce, I just add as I go because up to a point, the ratios don't really matter.

Paul

Originally posted by paul h:
Don, how much does it make? Would you list the ingredients along with measurements? Thanks
I think the large tomato sauce cans are 28 oz? Not positive but they are the ones that are bigger than a standard soup can, probably twice as big. I made 5 pizzas using my latest batch and still had probably enough leftover for 2-4 more. Of course that depends on how much sauce you use.

I can't really give you exact measurements. Like Paul K, I add the seasonings, taste, add more if needed, taste, etc. I don't measure them.

I start by grating 1 small onion (probably 1/8 cup) and then saute that a minute or so in olive oil (probably a tablespoon). Then I add minced garlic (a clove or two) and saute that for about 30 seconds (until I can smell it). Then I add the tomato sauce and a teaspoon of granulated sugar. Then it's literally a pinch of this, a pinch of that, etc. (oregano, basil, K salt, pepper, crushed red pepper) until it tastes like pizza sauce.

You guys are probably right. by the time I ad all the extra stuff I might as well make my own from scratch. I gather you don't cook this at all before putting on the pizza?? Thanks

I gather you don't cook this at all before putting on the pizza??

I simmer (20-30 mins) mine to develop and spread the flavors. Also, simmering will allow you to thicken the sauce if needed.

Paul

Thanks guys. I tried making sauce once without cooking and it turned out ok. Grandkids didn't care for it but the wife and I did. The kids are looking for the type of sauce they get at the chain pizza stores.

Thanks, all. Since the right sauce is next on my quest for the perfect pizza (for me), I appreciate ya'll giving me the right start.

Don (or Paul) if you have extra (as I likely will) how do you store it? Freezer?

Rich

hey rich,

good luck in your quest....i am finally onto something i both like and can repeat....LOL

I have found two easy ways to store it. One, if i am going to be making more within a week or two is to use a mason jar and then suck out the air with the food saver.

The other easy way is to use those ball freezer plastic thingy's (16 oz) and freeze it. Available in the canning area of most grocery stores.

For you pizza guys........i have lately been adding a couple of tablespoons of Wheat gluten while spinning the crust and find it really helps in my consistency and texture of my crust?

how do you store it? Freezer?
I usually only make up enough for the pizza(s)/pasta I'm preparing that day. What little I have left over keeps fine for about a week. You can certainly freeze it for quite a while. Have fun, experiment a little. I've found there's a lot of sugar, in one form or another, in the commercial sauces...shocking! Making your own is so easy and only what you want goes into it. A little fat from sausage, meat balls, etc. adds a nice flavor too...

Paul

Paul, have been freezing my dough with good results. I make enough for a couple of batches. Split some of them for smaller pizzas and keep one big dough ball for my regular 18". After I knead the dough I seal in freezer bags. Take out the day before you are going to use to let thaw and rise. I also use wheat gluten in my dough but I make a combo of wheat and regular flour.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I think that with a large can of tomato sauce, I would probably use it up within a week, but I'll see.

One of the problems I have with any store bought pizza, speghetti, etc. sauce is the HUGE amount of sugar they use. I don't like sweet Italian tomato sauces, to making my own is the ticket.

And Paul, I was in Round Rock briefly last August. I think maybe I saw you.
icon_biggrin.gif

Rich

I typically don't used canned pizza sauce. If I do I'll use Don Pepe instead of the typical straight up canned tomato sauce like Contadina or equivalent in the method below.

I really don't cook the sauce when I make it. I cook the ingredients. To me this keeps the sauce fresh and naturally sweet (as from fresh tomatoes) and less like a red gravy or sauce for use on pasta. The sauce "cooks" enough on the pie when it's in the oven IMHO.

I start with a large container of grape tomatoes in a 9x12 baking dish. Roast them in a 400 deg or so oven with fresh garlic and EVOO, some salt, little pepper for about 40 minutes or until they split. Let them cool and pinch the skins off. Take that contents (scrape the pan too) in a pot and puree with a stick blender. Or just crush them really well. I've done both.

I use grape tomatoes because they are nice and sweet and flavorful all year round. They are also rather dense.

Placed in a small sauce pan over moderate heat I flavor the crushed/blended tomatoes with the oregano and some basil. Salt to taste. Maybe add a *little* sugar if it needs it.

You can go a little stronger with the seasonings since this is going to get mixed with the can of sauce. I sometimes add a little paste from a tube instead of sugar for the sweetener.

Cut the heat and add the can of sauce and stir together. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Use on the pie straight up. To me this provides a nice fresh tasting sauce/flavor. To me when you cook everything it takes that away and tastes more like typical spaghetti sauce

Just my preference. Give it a try and see if you like it. Use your own spices and flavoring but mix that to taste in the grape tomato base.

A batch of this is more than you need for a couple pizzas. I take small bowls, line with plastic wrap and ladle a cup or so into each and set in the freezer until solid. They then pop out of the bowls easily with a tug on the plastic or turn upside down under hot running water briefly to free them if necessary. Then into a bag and vac seal.

Another alternative if you don't want to do the roasted tomato part is to take a small portion of the base sauce you are going to use and flavor that to taste over heat then mix in the remainder of the base, stir and touch up. And use on the pie from that point without "re-cooking" everything.

Hey, Ray, thanks for a good post with lots of info. I've used halved cherry tomatoes as a pizza topping for just the freshness reason you espouse, and your technique sounds good. But I think I'll roast the tomatoes on my grill (or the WSM if something else is going) to get some good wood smoke flavor.

And Paul, I know you're out there. I'll never forget Round Rock just because of that really weird behavior when I saw you.
icon_biggrin.gif

Rich

(I gotta be fair -- folks, Paul and I don't know each other from Adam.)

I work with an old pizza maker that have had his own "pizza shack" for 18? years...Dont know if it was 18 or 16 but hey.

This is his pizza sauce recipe:

1 can good crussed tomatoes..dont be cheap on this one couse it changes the whole recipe(like mutti quality)
2 tablespoons evoo
1 tablespoon Vegeta
1 clove garlic - fine choped
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon fresh ground(coarse)black pepper
1 teaspoon dry basil(fresh recomended use 3 teaspoons choped)
1 teaspoon dry oregano(fresh recomended use 3 teaspoons choped)

*OPTIONAL*
Add some Cayenne pepper to bring up the heat/or use the hot paprika instead of the sweet one.

Bring to a boil for 3 min. If you want it more firm depending on the canned tomatoes..Drain them in a strainer before making the sauce.

This will give you a perfect pizza sauce(the swedish way) and it can be used in a lasagna with great resaults...Or as simple as a pasta dish sauce!

Back