Attn: Ribmasters

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have a question for you rib experts. Like all of us, I'm seeking the perfect sparerib. Is it better to cook ribs on the bottom (cooler) grate and cook them an hour or so longer? Would they turn out a little more tender, or would it make any difference? Thanks.

Steve
Good question, if there is a lot of fat on the ribs the top grate would be fine, allowing you to render more fat and not have to worry about drying them out. If they are
not as fatty then a lower temp and spraying would be the way to go.
By just asking the question, shows your on the right track. Q is about taking a look at the piece of meat and adjusting your tech
to get the best results.
Jim

QUESTION: I'm about to purchase a WSM, and was wondering why the temperature on the bottom grate would be cooler than that on the top one. Wouldn't the one closest to the flame source be the hotter one?

Next, what is "spraying" as it relates to cooking spare ribs?
rolleyes.gif

The lower grate is cooler because heat rises and the water pan is deflecting the heat. If you are cooking without the water pan then this would not be the case.
If a rack of ribs is low in fat, lower pit temps and a mop with veg oil as part of the mixture, will help the ribs from drying out. You can use a spray bottle to apply.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back