Where do you get your meat in Ontario (Toronto)?

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

Where do you get your bigger meats in Toronto? I'm fine with ribs as they're easy to find most days but Butts and especially Brisket are challenges. I hear people talk about buying these Cryovac'ed (2 butts per package) but I'm not sure where they are found. I called Costco on a Brisket and all they carried were pre-cut ones (small). Any ideas?

Thanks,

James

I guess my first question would be what part of Toronto and what is the "ethnicity" of the area you live in.

Toronto should have lots of butchers and you will find that different cultures will have different cuts. Also you might find items like pork shoulder go from being a "specialty" item to something far more reasonable price-wise. I have found many Latin/South American butchers should carry pork shoulders at ~$2/lb. My local Asain grocery also has them sometimes, but more importantly they always have pork belly in stock (should you want to make bacon).

Brisket can be a bit tricky as most places will just sell well trimmed flats. If you talk to a butcher they might be able to order you a packer or two, or you can look at some of the larger packers and order in bulk.
I'm looking at ordering a case from Norwich Packers on my next trip out that way.

Bottom line... get out of the grocery store!! I also like supporting my local butcher and knowing that my pork was raised and slaughtered within the region. As an extra bonus.... my butcher is now carrying tri-tip!

Hi Scooter,

I'm in Etobicoke in a pretty "Canadian" area. There are a few butchers just over the line in Mississauga but they don't really carry butts (consider this to be lower end meat). I can usually find them at "lower end" places like Metro. I also found out that Loblaws near me gets in full brisket packers and will hold one untrimmed for me so I'm trying that this weekend.

James

I tried a small local producer near my home but they couldn't seem to get 'packer' right and charged over $4/lb
2004-09-17b%20002.jpg

Since then I've picked up packer briskets and other large cuts from meat wholesalers in Calgary. Took a few calls but I was able to find a couple, one wanted a minimum order of $50.

I got packer briskets for about $2.50/lb from them. Maybe you can do the same in Ontario.

since i live in markham there are many chinese supermarkets within a 10-15 minutes drive of my home. none of them sell cryo meats but ive seen briskets and butts for roughly $1.50/lb, sometimes less when they are on sale.

now, how important is it to buy cryo meats? do i really need to if i plan on smoking the meat on the same day of purchase?

Well I'm going to pull the trigger on some butts I just saw at the Veitnamese grocery today at $1.59/lb just to try them out. I will ask about where they get their meat as I try to eat local but I can't imagine they should be much different.

On a side note.... I seriously think as a white male that this is the last step I have to saying I'm "colour blind". For anyone who says they have no hint of racism ask them if they would buy their meat at an asian grocery.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scooter B:
On a side note.... I seriously think as a white male that this is the last step I have to saying I'm "colour blind". For anyone who says they have no hint of racism ask them if they would buy their meat at an asian grocery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i see many different cultures purchasing meat at chinese grocery stores in the markham area. the meats all come from local slaughter houses or suppliers.

Oh I know... I completely agree that its incredibly irrational. I know they are inspected and probably use the same suppliers as everyone elese. I just think that a LOT of us white folk hold "hidden" prejudices.

Personally I love the variety of many asian groceries. I can get spices, meats and sauces for a fraction of the cost of main stream grocery stores who consider something as simple as fresh herbs to be "specialty" items.

James, I have been using Metro/Dominion for years. Just ask the butcher, if they don't have it, they will order and usually have it the next day. I have been able to pickup 20 lbs butts just walking in and asking.
Mississauga
Cheers

Hi James,
I just ordered a 8lb brisket from a store called Medium Rare in Etobicoke. The store is located across the street from Apache Burger by the Kipling subway station on Dundas Street. It goes for 6.50/lb and I can get it on Friday. This is my first brisket on my 22" WSM which I also get on Friday.

I got the 'cooties' buying meat from an asian store here, but it had nothing to do with 'asian'. Would have felt the same regardless of race. They sold cheap pork butt, but it wasn't cheap enough to entice me back there.

The meat was butchered out in the open instead of in a clean room. 12' from a door that opens to the outside, their work counters seemed messy (stained) ... no white uniforms. Bare hands. Yuck.

Hey R. Fritze. I know Medium Rare, south side at 6 points. Let me know how the brisket was. Was it a full brisket with point and flat? Was it already trimmed or did they leave the fat cap on? I picked up a nice one at Loblaws (ordered) and it cost approx. $5.50lb. Came from Beretta farms in a vac pack and was pretty good.

Unfortunately, I also just got a pork butt from Loblaws from Beretta and it was rancid. Returned it and grabbed another at Metro in Cloverdale cut directly from the hog while I waited. I'm smoking it right now but it was bone in and looks great. They can't get a full brisket though.

Now I'm turned off Loblaws. There is also the Apple Market just over the line in Mississauga.

I'm looking for a wholesaler to fill a new freezer we're getting soon.

James

Hi James, It's a 7lb and its a point. They did trim it and I'm cooking it right now. I'm following the first brisket recipe in the beef recipe area. These instructions give me the idea that its going to take 13 hours. This can't be right. What do you think?
Richard

Hi Richard,

Sorry, just saw this. If it's 7lbs and just the point that's a huge point. The point is usually fattier than the flat but I can't see it taking 13hrs. I've only ever done a full packer and it was done at 200F so I'm really not sure what a point only piece will take.

I would guess you would want the same temp and a barky exterior? Note that the point has a deep grain, like a flank steak, so you will want to cut against that when it's done. You may be best to chop the whole thing.

Let us know how it goes. Wish I was able to give more input.

James

Hi James,
Well the brisket has been on since 9:15 this morning. I have been able to keep the wsm temperature at 210 to 220 degrees. At 3:30 the brisket was at 188 degrees. I adjusted the probe and it dropped to 176. I finally took it off at 6:15 with a temperature of 173. It was as low as 166. Now I hear the rule of thumb is 1-1.25 hours/ lb. This must be cooked at least I hope so. I have it wrapped in foil resting in the cooler. What do you think?
Thanks, Richard

Unfortunately, I don't think it's done. You usually want close to 200 - 205 for brisket. The temp variance is probably different areas of denser fat and meat. A better rule is "It's done when it's done". I would probably unfoil it, see if it is fork tender and throw it in a 300F oven until 200 if it isn't. Then re-foil it for 30 minutes and serve. I may be wrong (hopefully) but check it and see how tender it is.

James

Hi James, I want to let you know that the brisket turned out fine. I was surprised as well. I probably could have removed it from the smoker a bit sooner. Everyone was pleased. Thanks for the helpful information. Now what is next after cleaning the wsm.

Back