Kosher Salt

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew_l

TVWBB Super Fan
I notice that lots of recipes call for Kosher Salt. I've never seen this for sale in the UK. We have sea salt, rock salt, table salt. The firat two are completely natural with no additives; the sea salt is sort of flaky and crumbles easily, the rock salt is in very hard little lumps and needs to go through a grinder. Are either of these a good substitute?

Thanks,

Andrew

The "flaky" sea salt you mention might be an adequate substitute for Diamond Crystal kosher salt. Failing that, you can follow these ratios when using other salts:

1 cup Diamond Crystal kosher salt = 3/4 cup Morton kosher salt = 1/2 cup table salt (non-iodized preferred). Also, a cup of Diamond Crystal weighs 5 ounces, so if your recipe calls for 1 cup of DC kosher salt, you can safely substitute 5 oz. of any other salt.

According to Cooking.Com, here's the definition:

Kosher salt is a coarse salt that contains no additives. It dissolves quickly and is preferred by many professional chefs for its texture and flavor. It is also known as pickling, rock or coarse salt.

So, it sounds like you can pretty much get away with just about any coarse salt.

Thanks, Doug and mark.

Seems as though there are several difeerences in terminology, but the same ingredients DO exist! I'll go with Maldon Sea salt - light, flaky, pure and excellent flavour. Also - I've seen where they make it, so it feels nice to support a small local industry!

Andrew

I love Maldon.

You can use Maldon in the ratio Doug quotes above for Diamond Crystal, it is nearly the same weight-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back