Gravy (aka: milk gravy or white sauce) for biscuits

Keith H.

TVWBB Pro
Chet, Chet, Chet: /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

There are other options: /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Brown your choice of sausage in bits (as in Kibbles and Bits, little pieces, whatever) drain most of oil/grease and now go to old stand byBH&G White Sauce: Medium(1 Cup)
2 T butter
2 T flour
1/4 t salt
salt & pepper to taste
1 C milk.
add back in sausage.

SMOTHER biscuits.

I just love a man who knows how to make scratch gravy! Those are my usual proportions, too - 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 butter (or bacon grease...) to 2 cups milk (or 1 cup milk and 1 cup chicken broth). Not sure how the BH&G recipe goes, but you left out the "roux" part of gravy-makin'! Melt your butter or fat in the skillet, stir in the flour until it's well-incorporated with the fat de jour, and THEN quickly stir in your milk, stirring constantly until it thickens. (Yeah, I know, most of you already know that, but I just thought I'd throw it in for those young guys who want to try for the first time to impress that certain young lady in their life.)

I taught my husband Robert how to make gravy some years back, for an annual campout at which the men always do the cooking. He makes GREAT gravy... he just can't make it in quantities less than a gallon. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Here's how i make my sausage gravy. I get a roll of Bob Evan's breakfast sausage(white wrapper). Fry till no longer pink. Add a 1/2 stick of butter (no margarine here folks) and 3 heaping tbs. flour to sausage in the pan.Countinue to cook sausage, butter and flour for at least 5 minutes stirring the whole time so flour does not burn. Add milk till desired consistancy is reached. add a generous amount of fresh ground pepper and some cayenne just for a little zip. serve over biscuits,english muffins or toast. Some times i make home fries and pile it on top of them. I was taught how to make this from a very nice man from NC quite a few years ago. This is the #1 request from my wife.#2 Brisket

Odd. Most roux recipes have equal parts flour and fat. But you all seem to add equal parts flour and butter to a pan that already has the sausage fat in it. I guess the proportions aren't off that much, cause usually if you add too much fat, the roux breaks.

I don't use butter in mine--I paint it on the biscuits before baking--and use only the rendered fat from the sausage, adding enough flour to make a thick roux. If you scald the milk first it blends in better--you can put it in a large cup measure and nuke it for a few minutes while you're cooking the sausage.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stone:
Odd. Most roux recipes have equal parts flour and fat. But you all seem to add equal parts flour and butter to a pan that already has the sausage fat in it. I guess the proportions aren't off that much, cause usually if you add too much fat, the roux breaks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Bob Evan's sausage is really lean so thats why i add the butter. The 3 heaping TBS of flour are the big spoons from my silver ware. I don't measure anything it's an eyeball thing. I never had it break yet or got lumps.
icon_rolleyes.gif
If i use jimmy dean sausage(maybe used it twice) i usally don't add butter cause it has plent of fat in it. Bryan

I always have to add a bit of fat (butter, veg oil, or bacon grease) to my sausage gravy...fat-conscious companies are eliminating it from even sausage...Grrrrrrrr!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Constable:
I always have to add a bit of fat (butter, veg oil, or bacon grease) to my sausage gravy...fat-conscious companies are eliminating it from even sausage...Grrrrrrrr!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too true--which is why I make my own.

Back