Sweeter Ham Glaze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Z.

TVWBB Pro
I'm looking for a sweeter ham glaze. I was not a fan of the last glaze I did that used Dijon Mustard.

I don't mind an exotic taste since this ham is for me. It will be a basic brown sugar cured ham and I'm hoping to find a sweet glaze to add and compliment the meat.

Thanks,
Josh

Glaze musings:

Balsamic-thyme-shallot

Cherry-balsamic-...

Cherry-syrah-chile

Peach-bourbon

Peach-hazelnut (frangelico)

Apricot-sherry-sherry vin

Pineapple-sage

Pineapple-chile

Pineapple or peach-ginger

Apple-cinnamon-clove

Pineapple-rum

Peach-iced tea

Cranberry-allspice

Cranberry-Southern Comfort-lime

Kevin,

There are soooo many delicious looking glazes I wasn't sure which to ask you about, but if it's not too much I'd love to hear about

Balsamic-thyme-shallot
Cherry-syrah-chile
Pineapple ginger

and if you get around to it

Cranberry allspice

Thanks for the help,

Josh

I can tell you how to make all of the glazes rather simply and you can pick and choose from there.

First, note that some can be based on a liquid (like balsamic) and some can be based on fruit preserves (using jam, jelly, fruit butter or marmalade). With some you have a choice: You can, e.g., find cranberry jam or pineapple preserves or you can start with the juice instead. Quantities are up to you but I can give you an idea of approach and you can build from there.

Let's assume about a 1-1.5 c quantity.

If using preserves or the like, simply use somewhere between 1 and 1.5 c of them. If using a liquid base like balsamic or fruit juice start with twice the amount. Put it in a small pot, bring it to a simmer, then allow it to reduce to around 50% of its original volume.

If using preserves or if reducing liquid on the side: Heat a saute pan over med-high heat; add a T of unsalted butter. Now, depending on what you're making, add the appropriate aromatics and herbs. I nearly always saute 1-2 T minced shallot regardless of the glaze and might also add a little minced garlic (or a clove or two of garlic, slightly crushed, which can be removed later); fresh ginger, if using, would be added here. Add the herb(s) of choice (thyme, bay leaf, et al.) and any spices (allspice, dried ginger, mace, ground chile). Cook a min or so.

Then, if using an alcohol that can be ignited (bourbon, Southern Comfort, cognac, armagnac, whiskey) carefully add it and ignite it. If using a liqueur like Frangelico, amaretto, Triple Sec, etc., add it and whisk it in (some can ignite so be careful). In either case the amount added depends on the amount of its flavor you wish to remain at the finish. For thin alcohols that ignite I'd suggest 3 T, for thicker liqueurs about 2 T, but this is one of those personal preferance, trial-and-error things.

When the alcohol flames have subsided or the liqueur has been mixed in, reduce the liquid volume slightly then add your cup or so of preserves, reduce the heat to low and, stirring frequently, allow the preserves to melt. If using a juice or vinegar reduction (that you've have in your little pot on the side), add it and anywhere from half to an equal amount of sugar (by liquid volume), stirring in the sugar well, then bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to med-high and cook, stirring periodically, till the mix becomes quite syrupy. The amount of sugar you use can vary and it quite alright to start with less and add more if you wish later in the process. A smaller amount of sugar will mean less quantity of glaze but that's fine. A smaller amount of sugar will also mean you might need a bit more simmering time after the sugar is added to further reduce the mix to a syrupy consistency but that's fine too. Or, you might decide that the combination of flavors calls for more sweet, and simply add more sugar as you go. Note too that other sweeteners can be added for other flavors. I recommend starting with white sugar, get the mix moving toward a syrupy finish then, if desired, add your other sweetener(s) of choice--brown sugar, honey, molasses, etc.

The glaze will obviously be quite sweet. Counterpoint may be added my whisking in a little Dijon (excellent with ham and with nearly every fruit you might use in a glaze), vinegar (also excellent with ham and fruit and some of the fruit vinegars like raspberry, currant, fig, etc., can add great flavor notes while offering counterpoint to the sweetness of the glaze; good quality wine vinegars are appropriate too--aged sherry vinegar, good balsamic and cognac vinegar are just three possibilities; lemon, lime or grapefruit juices can also add bright notes and offer counterpoint to the sweetness but these should be added when the glaze is done and off heat so as not to cook and mute their flavors).

For most glazing I like a consistency of thick syrup. This consistency allows me to paint on the glaze in a fairly thin veneer, using a wide pastry brush, and build up layers, if I wish, by applying one veneer after another, 5-10 min apart, as the glaze seizes and caramelizes. For glazes made with preserves you might, depending on the preserves used, need to add a little water after the preserves have melted or, again, to add counterpoint, the vinegars or citrus juices noted above (with or without the Dijon), or water plus the vinegars and/or juices. Simply whisk in a little water at a time after the preserves have melted till the consistency is right (if too much water was added simply simmer to reduce) then add your counterpoint ingredients and leave as is or reduce if needed.

(Glazes can be made very thick if you prefer--spreadable rather than paintable--which you might want to do on some occasions. E.g., a thick slice of cold leftover meatloaf might be sauteed in butter till browned on both sides then a dollop of tomato-herb glaze smeared on somewhat thickly and then the pan run briefly under the broiler to caramelize the glaze surface; a thick slice of ham might be sauteed, removed to a platter and topped with a thicker glaze and kept warm, and a pan sauce made in the now-empty saute pan to drizzle over for serving. Also note that if a clearer glaze is desired the mix can be strained.)

For the cherry-syrah-chile (or any glaze using whole chiles) you can do one of three things depending on the nature of your ingredients: If using cherry juice, mix it with some syrah in a ratio of, say, 3:1, with the overall quantity as noted above (about twice the amount you'll reduce to, e.g., 1.5 c juice plus .5 c syrah which you'll reduce to 1 c) and add the stemmed and seeded dry chile of choice to the pot--a guajillo alone or with a cascabel would be good, or an ancho--whatever you wish--and let the chile rehydrate as the juice-wine mix reduces. Then taste the mix. It won't be sweet yet since the sugar is not in there (and might be a bit bitter depending on the chile--fixed later with the sugar addition)--what you're tasting for is chile flavor. You can remove the dried chilies and discard, or you can puree or simply force them through a seive (a little, more, or all of the chile) back into the reduction and proceed from there. Or, if using cherry preserves, reduce the wine in a small pot with the chile, perhaps breaking up the chile into smaller pieces first since the volume of wine alone will be less than the volume of juice mixed with wine, and proceed as noted. Or you can simply rehydrate the chile or chilies by pouring very hot water over them in a small bowl and using a small plate directly on the surface of the bowl to keep the chilies submerged. When softened, drain, mash and add to the juice-wine reduction or to the preserves in the pot, a little at a time if you wish, till the desired chile flavor is achieved.

Note: glazes can be made in advance, cooled and chilled in the fridge. They will thicken considerably when cooling and more when fridged. Simple reheat gently (adding a little water if needed), stirring frequently till the right consistency for use.

I hope all of this makes sense. If you understand the general guidelines you can make interesting glazes (with far more interesting flavor combination possibilities than anything you can buy in the store) very easily. If anything doesn't make sense, needs clarification, or if you have any questions let me know.

Rock on. I've actually done some of this by experimenting on my own trying to come with a glaze for grilled pork..... who knew I was already on the right track.

It makes sense and I appreciate that more than a recipe since now it should be very easy to adapt what you've given me to any flavor combo I wish.

Thanks again,

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back