ET-73 Gone wild....

Gary Noles

TVWBB Member
Enjoyed using my ET-73 on the 1st and 2nd cook... but now it's gone a touch nuts. Left it off the smoker after finishing #3 and it's currently reading the smoker probe at 75* and the food probe at 199*.

It's Alabama, I figure the 75* might be a little low, and while it is hot here... 199* may be a touch off.

Suggestions on some good probes and is there any way to adjust the set point on these things once I replace it?

Did you get any water in the probes when cleaning up? When I first got mine, I tested the probes out using boiling water. I got one wet and as it cooled I think it drew water in where the probe connects to the cable and resulted in bad readings until it dried out.

I've been pretty careful to not dunk the whole thing when I clean the probes off now.

Sorry, went for a short trip and well... didn't cook.

Tried new batteries tonight, no change.

Wondered if it might be a probe issue as it reads high in both jacks. I'm betting that it got water in it and it's toast.

Tested it with boiling water today and it reads about 40* high at boil. I'll be replacing the probe or upgrading to the new one for the increased range.

Speaking of the ET-73, I just got mine along with my new WSM for father's day and I'm very pleased with the WSM but the ET-73 I'm not too crazy about it.

I don't see a long life for my probes either. After two smokes the wires are alreedy starting to look a little worn.

My biggest issue with it is that the range isn't even close to the advertised 100ft, It's more like 30 ft for me. I have the WSM at the far end of the deck and I put the reciever on the patio where i sit with my lap top and drink beer while waiting.

The distance can't be more than 40ft and there's nothing between the units except for the pool. I was going to hold out until the upgraded model (ET-732 ??) arrived at my local BBQ store. It's range is 300ft. That could probably make it across the pool.

Sorry for hijacking your thread with my displeasure for the ET-73

Steve

732 is MUCH improved over the 73. Only negative thing i could say about it is the cable length of the probes...kinda short. You can however buy longer ones from Maverick.

Steve, no worries, I have the same problem with the transmit range. Night before last, I used the ET-73 and adjusted my temp based on the 40* difference and we made it through.

Stefan, I'd buy it and the upgrade probes in an instant, but it seems that everywhere I've checked has none in stock/currently unavailable.

As for local BBQ stores, I live in the sticks and would have to find a store in Birmingham that would carry them.

Stefan, Agreed, I can always purhase the longer cables

Gary, I can live with the temperature difference. I don't mind doing the math. I'm still annoyed that I can't get more than 40ft out of my ET-73. I feel bad that it was a gift and it doesn't work as advertised.

Sorry you don't have any BBQ stores nearby, It comes in handy and it's fun to browse.

Back