Thermopen question

Bob Kuester

TVWBB Member
I recently purchased a green Thermopen, (Lampe said it was the best), and it works great when probing food, however, when I use to check the lid temp it takes a long time to get the correct temp. Does anybody else have this situation with their Thermopen?

I recently purchased a green Thermopen, (Lampe said it was the best)

Funny
icon_biggrin.gif

I dont have that problem with my red one. Its fast as a porsche with the lid temp.
icon_smile.gif
Jokes aside.

I dont have a thermapen and i cant really tell you how it reads. Do you check thru the lid vents? I guess it have to be in a steady temp enviorment to get its reading set. And with the airflow the unit might not set a temp(display) as normal use.

Not sure what you mean by it taking a long time to get to the correct temp? are you saying that the temp readout on the pen is constantly changing? This will be the case so long as air is moving within the lid which it should be. If you are saying that the readout is just not getting to the proper temp quick enough then when inserting it into the lid vent wiggle it around a bit. Somewhere I read that if you want to get the room temp using the Thermopen you must wave it around so it "feels" the air, or something like that.

I'm not sure if the Thermopen was designed to measure airflow.

Seems to me it was designed to measure temps of food in direct contact with the probe.

I think it takes a long time, because the air is not a good conductor of the heat with respect to the probe. I use my thermopen through the vent to check my dome thermometer and while it takes longer, I wouldn't call it a long time. I think I get a good enough reading in about 5 to 10 seconds. How long does your's take?

I have a second thermopen that I keep in my car and use when we are on vacations. I frequently find myself cooking at places that have old gas grills with inaccurate thermometers. I use the thermopen to check the inside temp of the grill (cover closed) so I know what the actual temp is. It takes a while for the thermopen to get from ambient temp to the grill temp - maybe 10 to 15 seconds. It is not as fast as when inserting the probe directly into the meat but I accept the delay gladly as I get to know what temps I am cooking at.

Ray

I love my thermopen. I do not use for the grill temp. It needs direct contact, liquid or solid, (i.e. meat) to get a quick temp. Air takes much longer.

Back