Rub ratios, sweet, heat, savory

JSMcdowell

TVWBB All-Star
I am pretty burned out on lot of the rubs I have been using and I am going to start using some new ones this year.

Does anyone have a good ratio to go by as far sweet, heat, and savory spices and flavors ?

Obviously heat will vary depending on the pepper used, but for my first new rub I am just going to go with Ancho powder. From there I can add others at lesser amounts.

I salt the meat not the rub (Thanks Kevin) so salt is not a concern in the ratios.

Thank you.

I like to layer the flavors in my homemade rubs. The smoke of bbq masks a bit of the flavor, so I think it's important to use a bold rub and sprinkle a bit more of it on near the end of the smoking process as well.
I try for some pepper, chili, and herbal notes. I don't like much sugar in the rub; with pork it tends to give a "hammy" flavor, not something I like. I used this on last week's ribs and was pleased.
My typical pork rub is something like this:
black, green, white peppercorns, allspice, cinnamon, coriander seed, a little cumin, dried thyme, granulated onion and garlic, a little raw sugar, plenty of ground ancho, and some paprika for color. I can provide measurements if you'd like. Good luck!

Back