Sweeten the catch, for fish

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Not really a cooking recipe, but a method I use to rid some fish of its strong fishy taste/smell.
Found it many years ago in a Field & Stream, or similar type mag.

Sweeten the catch:
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 gallon cold water

Directions:
Mix ingredients well until dissolved.
Submerge fish in the solution by weighing down with a heavy plate.
Refrigerate overnight, or a minimum of 6 hours.
Discard solution and rinse fish under cold water.
Dry on paper towels and cook or freeze for later

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">strong fishy taste/smell </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Psssstt...hey Bob...fish is supposed to taste like fish.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">strong fishy taste/smell </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Psssstt...hey Bob...fish is supposed to taste like fish.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well Charles, steak can't taste too steaky for me,
But fish can sometimes taste too fishy
icon_smile.gif

A little "dip" in some buttermilk before breading (if you're going to fry them) will sometimes help to do the same.

Most of the time, if the fish smells "fishy" - it's probably not very fresh, or has not been chilled or kept alive after being caught.

General rule of thumb = fresh / properly-handled fish usually does not smell or taste very "fishy".

Bob, I'm frying fish Monday.
It's going to be Swai and Tilapia.
I get them both at Kroger or Wal-Mart.
If you want something mild tasting, try Swai. It's Asian catfish, and VERY, VERY good. 100% white meat, no, repeat, no dark centerline.
I think the Tilapia tastes more like Bass or Bream, which I classify as fairly strong.

I almost got my commerical fishing license several years ago, but decided it was too much work for the return on investment.
I spent 8 years on the Tennessee River catfishing, and have fished my entire life until I discovered computers.
icon_cool.gif

Wouldn't give you a dime now to get up in the middle of the night, drive 70 miles, and spend $15.00 on bait to spend the day in the direct sun, trying to find a creature you can't see until you've caught one.

On a happier note, we once caught 200 lbs of catfish in about 4 hours, which is really fast.
The Shad were running, and the cats were feeding on them. We were culling anything under 5 lbs.
We caught one cat that was about 18" long, and it had swallowed a shad about 15" long. The tail of the shad was sticking out of the cat's mouth about 3", and you could see the outline of the shad's head in the cat's belly. It was still hungry enough to swallow my 2" minnow!
icon_biggrin.gif

I've done what Ron does. Soaking in a little milk, buttermilk or reg, takes away some of the stronger fish taste. Don't use chocolate milk though
icon_razz.gif

Paul

Back