Dried Pear

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
I went to Trader Joe's to get dried apple to make Pigs worst nightmare Applerub but they didn't have it. So instead I bought some dried Bartlett Pears. Do you think those would make a good rub? I use pear wood for smoking. I also picked up some dried Mango. Does anyone have a rub recipe for either one or both? I was thinking of using the mango for some type of fish rub. Any thoughts?

Pear will work. Dry them (or any packaged dried fruit which tend to be moist) further in a very low oven then leave them out overnight, on racks, to dry to the point of crispness for griding.

I don't use dried fruits in rubs but I use them very often in braises for meats, in meat stuffings, and in sauces. I can help you come up with some rub recipes to try though, if you'd like.

Originally posted by Dave L.:
I went to Trader Joe's to get dried apple to make Pigs worst nightmare Applerub but they didn't have it.
Around these parts dried Apples is called "Apple Snitz" it's a PA Dutch/Amish thing, and can be had everywhere here in Amish Town.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Back