My "WSM de Luxe"

Don Marco

TVWBB Fan
Howdy...

What does a WSM lover do if some things always bug him with his WSM ?

-No "one touch" ash cleaner
-Rain collecting in the charcoal bowl
-no table
-very low height
-hard to move around
-no handles
-no Thermometers

You got it !

Bid on thousands of 18 1/2 " One touch platinums on EBAY til you finally "steal" one and then Pimp your WSM.

I used the base of the one touch platinum and then mounted the vents from a smokey joe platinum (spare parts)
on the fron and back of the charcoal bowl.
That way i have the full comfort of the cleaning system and can control the air intake as good as on the original WSM bowl.

Here we go :

I used these 8mm swagelock connectors as guides for the weber thermometers and probes.

Off course the batterie died just before the last holw was drilled, so the rest is gonna be left for tomorrow.

DM

Tell me more about the swagelock connection. I see they have a Web site, www.swagelock.com. The connector is intended to connect tubing but you've used it to create a port into which the thermometer stem can be inserted and removed?

What does this part cost and where does one buy it?

What looks nice about it is you don't have to drill a very big hole and it has a nice, clean appearance after installation.

Regards,
Chris

Jeff, its not too tall, its got the perfect height for me ( ~6 feet tall).

Chris, we use those connectors in gas treatment plants and they are really heavy duty and
very, very expensive (well, except for those two ones...
icon_cool.gif
).
Those are special ones used to lead a pipe out of a stainless steel cabinet for example, so they are extra long and have the large washer to fasten the whole unit around the hole.

Heres a pic from the german site :

SS-810-61.jpg

The best thing is, the weber thermos for the gasgrills and the polder probes get a really tight fit and because the connectors are about 2 inches long the thermos are held really tight.
If i dont need one of those "ports" i can close them with a cap thats got the same thread.

Theres also an other manufacturer called "A-Lock" wich has almost the same quality but 1/3 of the price.

Please excuse my poor english, im not a native speaker.

DM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Marco:
Jeff, its not too tall, its got the perfect height for me ( ~6 feet tall). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How high is the top grate (can you give measurement in inches from the ground)?

This looks like a wonderful mod, but it does look a little on the tall side. Measurements might put it more in perspective (I'm also 6'2")

Thanks...

Don,

I'd like to know more about the 3 "uni-bit" set in the third photo. Can you tell us who makes that bit set. I like the idea of several of those angle pointed bits.

thanks,

Ken (always on the lookout for tools & grill stuff)

Weber 461001 18 1/2-Inch One-Touch Platinum with the nice cart is no longer available. I'm considering just going for an 18 1/2" One-Touch Gold with ash catcher on standard wheels. I looked at a 22 1/2" one at a store recently and the legs were pretty solid (at least when new).

Don,

Looks great!!
icon_cool.gif
icon_cool.gif

Where in Germany are you? I spent 6 years in Pirmasens from 1982-1988. I loved it there but never had the opportunity to make it back.

Keep on Q'ing!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Enjoy,

How did you mount the new vents? I've been looking at doing this with a 18.5" Gold for awhile now.

I'm really pondering how to do this and mount a stoker to it. This would provide easy ash removal and temperature control.

Here's my modification. I'd really like to have the nice table off to the side (as in post #1), but since they are not available anymore, I had to settle for a standard One Touch Gold (I'll watch for used ones in my area). My WSM dropped right on. I was afraid it might be "tippy" but it is no more "tippy" than the stock One touch, without the WSM on it. When moving always pull the unit avoid pushing it around.

One thing surprised me, there were no bottom vents. I guess the ash dispersal blades act as one big adjustable vent. I think I may like that better, than the 3 bottom vents on the WSM if it works that way.

Is it too tall? Definately not. The upper level smoking grate comes up to my belly button, I'm 6'4" tall. It is WAY easier to load briquets and wood chips.

[IMG:left]
img0468smqj7.jpg
[/IMG]

How does the temp control work with the one touch lever operated air vent?

I'm thinking of getting a one touch silver for my WSM - depending on what I can find at the garage sale.

I've used it once so far. For the most part, the lever is almost closed all the way. I just cracked it open about 1/4" travel of the lever and that was sufficient. In short, it's sensitive. You can easily make it too hot if you open it up too much. But, it's oh so nice to not have to bend over to add charcoal, etc. In my opinion, the standard WSM is too low,..... or I'm too tall.
icon_rolleyes.gif

If it's not clear,.... the lever operates the wiper for ash dispersal,... which is vented, which in effect replaces the three adjustable lower vents in the WSM.

Look for a One Touch Gold,... the ash "catch can" is nice!

Won't the ashes eventually clog the bottom vents and lower your temperatures? I wouldn't expect it to maintain a consistent temp on a long cook. If you look at the original poster, he added side vents (from a smokey joe platinum) further up the base to allow for constant air flow that won't get blocked by the ashes.

Yeah, I guess so. I did swipe the ashes several times. I can see where they might clog on a long smoke. I'm fairly new to this smoking. I can see where drilling new vents would be good. Just trying to avoid extra work if I can.

Any update on the temp control?? I really want this mod but not if gonna cause bad Q.

The Temp Control on mine with the smokey jose vents is excellent, as is ash removal. Im 100 % satisfied with my mod.

Ken, this set is made by a local supplyer, i dont think you can get your hands on it in the US of A.

Dan, i live in the northwest of germany close to the north sea. My job takes my all through europe
m though.

David, i cant measure it right now, but im 6 foot and its absolutely the perfect height for me.I think it must be about 4 feet and 4 to 8 inches.

Heres another pic, the wall in the back is at my hip level.
img0002mediumik4.jpg
+

DM

Note that Don Marco added "smokey joe platinum" vents to the side of his so it should work well for long cooks, much like the WSM. However, if you don't add some sort of side vent and rely on the "cleaner" vents at the bottom then it will probably not work as well for long cooks since the vents will get clogged with ash and change the temps over time.

The person who did the mini/nano WSM also pointed this out in another thread since they used the small smokey joe that had the side vents instead of the bottom vent.

Yes, after a couple smokes I can see where side vents is the way to go. The bottom ash vent works but side vents is definately the way to go. I'll be modifying mine shortly (and adding a thermometer).

Back