First three cooks

Wayne Lehman

Got my 22" WSM about a month ago. First cook was a brisket and 3 racks of spareribs St Louis style. Probably best ribs I ever cooked but left some room for improvement as I was out running errands in the afternoon and probably left them on a bit too long. Also did some ABT and the next morning a fattie.

Following weekend I bought 3 more racks of ribs and 2 pork butts but my wife reminded me I was going to be out of town all week and shouldn't cook so much meat. Put the butts in the freezer and did the ribs which were practically perfect.

Did the pork butts this weekend. First overnite cook. Was going to do the Mr Browns recipe but my wife didn't get raw sugar for the rub at the store as instructed and I didn't want to substitute so thought I would try the injection recipe. Got that ready but discovered we didn't have an available injector so had to make a late trip to the store anyway. It was raining and I wasn't sure of doing an overnite cook in the rain but went for it anyway. Twice I tried to fill the water pan in the dark and rain and twice it fell into the lit charcoal. Thought the foil might be contributing to the problem and removed it (took 3 rounds of oven cleaner to clean the water bowl on Sunday). Put the meat on the smoker about 11:30pm. Temp was about 180 in the morning so added more charcoal. Pulled the butts at 3:30, wrapped and put in cooler for a few hours. Been eating pulled pork for every meal since except for breakfast and as soon as I am done eating, I can hardly wait for the next meal. Put a bunch in the freezer but do not yet have a Food Saver (Father's Day is coming up says my wife which means I better not buy one before that) so even what is in the freezer will not be staying there long.

Wow, sounds ambitious to me. I only cook for 2 but even then I have plenty left over. The dogs do like the snacks tho.

There's one in the backround, Rosie

firstbrisketdone001.jpg

And here's the other, Mick

0513071033-1.jpg

Mark

Back