Ideas for accessories/tools

Kirby

Hey gang! I got a WSM 22.5" a while back and love it! I check in here regularly for ideas and recipes.

Now, I'm taking some college classes again and have to come up with a business plan. I figure I might as well focus on something I'm interested in!

What things do you wish you could buy? Maybe something you've thought of or even made yourself to get by.

Could be a tool, a material, a utensil, anything!

Who knows, if I can come up with a good business plan, maybe I'll try to figure out how to make it work!

Thanks guys!

What about a spiffy rack that you could hook over (without scratching) the side of the middle section to hold the home base sender of the 732 thermometer?

Right now my WSM is beside the grill and I use the side of that to hold the sender.

Kirby,

When I remove a "beer can chicken" I am aware of the safety issues and always wish that I had a device to hold the chicken while removing the beer can from the bottom. The chix is usually so heavy that it takes two hands to lift it, and I need another hand to remove the can. Any ideas come to mind?

Good luck!

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
Kirby,

When I remove a "beer can chicken" I am aware of the safety issues and always wish that I had a device to hold the chicken while removing the beer can from the bottom. The chix is usually so heavy that it takes two hands to lift it, and I need another hand to remove the can. Any ideas come to mind?

Good luck!

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that would be good too.

I find that the whole setup (bird, can and tray) all lift at the same time, regardless of how much "juice" is in the tray.

Family time means you get your assistant to help I guess.

Any time I'm cooking on my WSM I need to set up a portable table to work on. I really like the side table on my Performer, it would be nice to have something similar for my WSM.

A cart to hold a WSM with wheels and a table like a Performer would be great. A clip on table like the one Weber makes for a kettle would also be cool (the kettle table doesn't work well with a WSM, the clips and the legs are not correct).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig A:
Any time I'm cooking on my WSM I need to set up a portable table to work on. I really like the side table on my Performer, it would be nice to have something similar for my WSM.

A cart to hold a WSM with wheels and a table like a Performer would be great. A clip on table like the one Weber makes for a kettle would also be cool (the kettle table doesn't work well with a WSM, the clips and the legs are not correct). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1.

I'd buy one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig A:

A cart to hold a WSM with wheels and a table like a Performer would be great. A clip on table like the one Weber makes for a kettle would also be cool (the kettle table doesn't work well with a WSM, the clips and the legs are not correct). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, some great ideas here. I've become used to hauling a table around to use. I've gotten so accustomed to it, that I hadn't considered making something specific for the smoker. Great idea.

For the Beer can chicken thing. Do you think it would be better to design something to lift the chicken, or hold the can? If it's to hold the can, would you remove the whole thing from the smoker, then remove the can? Would you be looking to lift the chicken off the smoker and leave the can behind?

Good stuff!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Would you be looking to lift the chicken off the smoker and leave the can behind? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kirby,

I would like to leave the can with it's hot liquid on the smoker. That way, I am not transporting the how liquids into my kitchen.

While vacationing in ATL area this week with grand kids, I cooked two beer can chickens and had my grand sone be my third hand. These wrer actually very large hens (capons) and they are difficult to handle because of the weight, but we managed with some careful work.

BTW, chickens were very tasty and juicy.

Ray

Back