Marinade request for london broil

Michele, I wanted to make sure that this post from Kevin about the salt/onion marinade got to you. It was burried in a link from the thread I linked for you.

Originally posted by Kevin K.

Yes, salting can do wonders. Almost like a rub with numerous ingredients, the layering of the meat with onions adds quite a bit too. Salt extracts moisture from the onions as well as the meat. Natural sugars in the onions go along for the ride, along with several flavor volatiles that get pulled into the meat as natural balancing occurs. Some of these sugars and volatiles remain on the surface of the meat and are affected in particular ways during cooking. Those that remain in the meat are transformed differently, adding their flavors also. (A sprig or two of fresh thyme or a bit of rosemary, and a fair amount of lemon zest can be a nice addition to this layered onion approach.)

That last part about the thyme, rosemary etc I left out, maybe you would like to try it. Hope it turns out nicely for you.

Michele,

My fav for flank steak or london broil is to mix 1/2 cup bourbon with 1/2 cup soy sauce, and slice a large white onion and separate the onion rings. Marinade the steak in this mixture for up to 24 hours. Grill onions with the steak and serve them with the steak.
Ray

Back