Tacos al pastor

Jim Bennett

TVWBB Member
I found this recipe at the Los Angeles Times for making tacos al pastor and made up a batch for last Saturday night.

I cooked it over lump charcoal with some mesquite chunks and it was the best tacos al pastor I've ever eaten.

An interesting use of the WSM to say the least.

To view the recipe requires registration. Here's the recipe:

Recipe: Carne al pastor

Total time: 3 hours, 10 minutes, plus 8 hours marinating
Servings: 8

3 California chiles
1 ancho chile
1 guajillo chile
1 cascabel chile
1 chile de árbol
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/4 teaspoon achiote condimentada (seasoned achiote paste)
1 onion, sliced thin, divided
5 pounds boneless pork butt, cut into 8 chunks
1/2 pineapple, peeled, sliced 1/2-inch thick,and cut into quarters

1. Combine 5 cups of water, the California, ancho, guajillo and cascabel chiles, the chile de árbol and the bay leaf in a large pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes. Drain the chiles, discard the bay leaf and remove and discard the stems and seeds
of the chiles.

2. Place the softened chiles in a food processor with the orange and pineapple juices, vinegar, cinnamon, sea salt, garlic, salt, pepper, garlic salt, oregano, achiote paste and half the onion.
Pureé until smooth.

3. Pour the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag, add the meat and toss to coat. Refrigerate 24 hours.

4. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Place half the pineapple in an even layer in the bottom of a roasting pan. Place the pork on top, followed by the remaining pineapple and the remaining sliced onion. Cover with foil and roast until meat breaks apart with a fork, about 2 to 2 1/2hours. Remove the meat from the pan, discard the pineapple and set aside the pan juices.

5. Put the meat on a rack in a baking pan, baste it with the pan juices and place under the broiler to crisp the edges of the meat, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook for a few more minutes.

6. Remove the meat from the oven and let stand until cool enough to handle, then, with a fork, shred and pull it apart and place on a serving platter. Spoon pan juices over to moisten. Serve with corn tortillas and condiments, allowing everyone to make their own tacos.

Each serving: 591 calories; 1,195 mg. sodium; 174 mg. cholesterol; 42 grams fat; 15 grams saturated fat; 69 grams carbohydrates; 46 grams protein; 1 gram fiber.

Rusty

I wasn't aware of the registration requirement.

Thanks for posting the recipe!

There are several Mexican markets down in Woodburn, Oregon so getting the ingredients wasn't a problem - even the "achiote paste"

Jim

Discard the pineapple? Whatever for? :)

If you slice the butt in to steaks and pound then a little they can be marinated then stacked, interlaced with pineapple (if you like plenty of pineapple, as I do), thinly sliced from a whole one, then skewered to keep the stack together and cooked in a WSM or kettle till nicely tender and caramelized around the edges. No pan required. This post and the one below it describes a method. (Next time, I'll slice more thinly before marinating.)

Either way, tacos al pastor are one of my favorite things. An excellent use of a WSM as you note.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by K Kruger:
Discard the pineapple? Whatever for? :)

If you slice the butt in to steaks and pound then a little they can be marinated then stacked, interlaced with pineapple (if you like plenty of pineapple, as I do), thinly sliced from a whole one, then skewered to keep the stack together and cooked in a WSM or kettle till nicely tender and caramelized around the edges. No pan required. This post and the one below it describes a method. (Next time, I'll slice more thinly before marinating.)

Either way, tacos al pastor are one of my favorite things. An excellent use of a WSM as you note.

yea, why would anyone toss pineapples away?? One of the main ingredients. I only hope someone figures out a way to make an upright rotisserie that can take some high heat. I've made tacos al pastor with skewers simulating a "trompo" on the WSM and the kettle and though they taste good and come close, I want to be able to open up one of the grills and cut off the crusty goodies and then be able to closer her up again for more goodies.

Adrian

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the recipe, looks great! A couple of questions;

1) You did this on a WSM?
2) Did you cut the butt and layer as described or did you do the whole butt and layer? I was thinking of doing it whole but injecting with the marinade.
3) If you did in WSM what temp. and for how long?

Thanks, I'm a new WSM user and this looks like a great recipie for my next smoke.

Larry R. Fresno, CA

WSM
Weber Genesis 1000
22 1/2 Performer w/Touch-N-Go

Larry

You're welcome. I was searching for an authentic "al pastor taco" recipe and found this article at the Los Angeles Times. The food writer, Barbara Hanson, was raving about their food and then I hit their web site and they said that "al pastor" was the speciality there. I did some more searching at the paper's web site and found that the owner had been gracious enough to publish the recipe - so that's how I stumbled on it.

As to your questions.........

1) - I did cook the meat on the WSM

2) I cut the butt into 2" wide strips like the pork sold in markets as "country ribs" and then used the recipe with regard to marinating, etc.

3) I cooked the meat @ 225F - 225F to make sure that the long & slow method resulted in a tender product. I cooked them at this temperature until the internal temperature hit 160F and then increased the heat to 325F to increase the bark until the internal temperature was about 195F. I then wrapped the meat in aluminum foil for a couple of hours and then pulled the meat apart like one does for "pulled-pork" sandwiches.

Since there is so much flavor in the marinade I used chopped onions (chopped pretty fine) with chopped cilantro instead of a regular salsa. I had picked up fresh corn tortillas at a local Mexican market where they make them fresh every day.

A couple bottles of Corona beers for our guests and everyone was raving about how good the tacos were. Not trying to brag but I thought these al pastor tacos were much better than any I've had both in Oregon as well as Southern California.

I'm sure that you'll enjoy this recipe too - it's a nice alternative to "regular BBQ" which I also enjoy.

I'm new to the Weber WSM. I bought my smoker last summer in late July and did 6 or 7 smokes before the rainy season hit up here. I've done about the same number of smokes this season and look forward to many more.

I was thinking about using this marinade on some spareribs this weekend. I'll let you know how that turns out.

This web site is such a great resource for newbies like you and myself. Other than making a couple of mistakes with regard to buying a Polder themometer I've had great satisfaction with the food I've been able to prepare with my WSM.

Cheers!

Jim
Oregon City, Oregon

Jim,

Thank you for your thorough response. I live in the Central Valley of Cali and office in Southern Cali and have had the pleasure of eating some great al pastor tacos in both regions. My fiancée is second generation Hispanic and knows all “hole-in-the-wall” and dive restaurants that have excellent authentic Mexican food, however, she doesn’t have great recipes; this one looks like a winner.

I’m considering doing this as a whole but and injecting it over night and just prior to the cook. Any thoughts on how this might turn out vs. the method you used?

Thanks again for your thorough response.

Larry R. Fresno, CA

WSM
Weber Genesis 1000
22 1/2 Performer w/Touch-N-Go

Larry

Injecting this might be somewhat of a challenge. I say that because when you puree everything according to the recipe's directions you end up with a marinade that is about as thick as split-pea soup or a heavy BBQ sauce.

You'd probably have to take part of the marinade and dilute it with a liquid. Beer might be interesting.

If you try it let us know how it turns out. At the very least you'd certainly get some solid flavors into the center of the pork!

Jim

Jim,

I'll be doing this for Father's Day along with a Mr. Brown.

I've used beer in with my carnitas in the past and think I'll do the same to thin down the marinade here (only for the injection). I'll let you know how she turns and and will post plenty of pictures too.

Thanks again,

Here is the recipe that my favorite pork taco stand in Mexico uses. He cooks it in front of a vertical flame source similar to how Gyros are made. Mmmmmmmm delicious!

Adobo Marinade For Pork Tacos

Ingredients:
3 Lbs ½ inch sliced pork meat (A pork butt can be used)
5 Negro Pasilla chiles
7 Guajillo chiles
5 Garlic cloves
½ Cup chopped white onion
1 Teaspoon oregano
½ Teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ Teaspoon ground clove
½ Cup white vinegar
1 Teaspoon sugar
1 Teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil

**** 1 Fat slice from a ripe pineapple

Directions:
Place the chilies in a pot with warm water over medium heat for 30 minutes and dehydrate. Remove from water and seed the chilies.

Place in a food processor with a little bit of the water and chop. Strain the paste and place again in the food processor with the remaining ingredients (except the oil). Blend the mixture and then place in a frying pan with the oil over high heat for ten minutes.

Let cool and use to marinate.

Just an update; I went the Mexican Market today in preparation for my Father's Day smoke. I'm doing this recipe as well as a Mr. Brown. The Market I went to Vallartas (for those of you in Southern California) had all the chiles needed as well as the achiote paste, however, all the chiles are dried. The recipe doesn't specify so I figured this would be OK. Jim, did you use dried chiles?

My neighbor has what I would call an "industrial strength" injector so I'm hoping I'll be able to use the marinade at full strength, otherwise I'll dilute with a bit of Corona. I'm going to make a double batch, one for marinading and the other for the injection.

Can't wait for next weekend.

Ciao,

Sorry guys, one more question. Should I do the Al Pastor in a foil pan or on the rack? I'm also doing a Mr. Brown that will be on the rack but I'm thinking since I'm going to place pineapple on the bottom (and top) a pan may work better than on the rack. The recipe also references using pan drippings. Also, I'm going to do the butt "whole" vs. chunks or slices and I'll be injecting her too.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by LarryR:
Sorry guys, one more question. Should I do the Al Pastor in a foil pan or on the rack? I'm also doing a Mr. Brown that will be on the rack but I'm thinking since I'm going to place pineapple on the bottom (and top) a pan may work better than on the rack. The recipe also references using pan drippings. Also, I'm going to do the butt "whole" vs. chunks or slices and I'll be injecting her too.

Thanks in advance.
Larry

I used a foil pan for the reasons that you noted, i.e. the drippings, placement of the pineapple, etc.

What I did do the last time (about a week ago) is remove the meat for the last 30 minutes or so and put it on the rack to give the meat a bit of "bark" and it turned out very delicious.

Good luck on your al pastor!

Jim

Hi Jim,

I mixed up the marinade last night, what a wonderful aroma! I think I'll be OK for injecting, my food processor did a great job pureeing (is this a word) the marinade so injecting will not be an issue. I decided to wait to inject until I put her on.

I'm going to use a foil pan with a roast rack. I've decided, this way I can use the pan for drippings, yet still get bark on the bottom. I'm going to hold the pineapple in place on the bottom of the butt with toothpicks. I'll be sure to shoot some pictures and post them.

Smoke starts tonight at 11:00 p.m.!

Ciao,

A couple of updates and pictures - injector didn't work, even with beer to dilute. Tried to use the pan but with the pan I couldn't fit the other butt on the top rack and I had already placed another butt on the lower rack so I said "screw-it" and just removed the pan . . . I'll capture the juices next time.

Here are some pictures of my smoke so far. Started her at 11:00 last night - Al Pastor and Mr. Browns

Ciao - Larry

Well, I'm thinking a whole butt Al Pastor is not for the WSM. Don't get me wrong, the meat was excellent, but you couldn't appreciate the flavors in the marinade. I'm sure it would have been better with the pan juices and maybe a bit of the marinade mixed in when pulling. You couldn't taste any of the pineapple or the onion either. It was in the WSM for about 17 hours (190).

In hindsight, I should have cooked on the bottom grate with a drip pan and put the two Mr. Browns on the top grate.

Everyone loved it but I think it would have been better with the modifications listed above. It sounds like your's turned out much better. I'm thinking if I do it again I'll slice and layer.

Here are some PICTURES , I didn't post one of the Al Pastor pulled as it looked almost exactly like the Mr. Brown(s) I cooked with it.

I'll keep you guys posted if I do it again . . . which I probably will because I don't like being defeated at anything.

Ciao,

Larry,

Wondering if you ever did this up again with the moderations you mentioned. I've been on this kick lately of really well prepared mexican food.

We too have many quality family mexican establishments in our area, but want to try and make some at home.

Seems odd to the Mrs and I that many people are content with what we call "corporate mexican" food.

Back