Freezing Sauce?

EricDevlin

TVWBB Member
Hi,

We use a commercial sauce at comps and we get them in the big gallon jugs.

We invariably have too much to use at a single comp and I was wondering about the feasibility of freezing the remainder and using it at the next comp.

Thoughts?

Eric

The only problem I've had with freezing sauce is making sure it is AIR-TIGHT!!!
If it's not, it WILL pick up some funky flavors from the freezer.
To be honest, if the sauce is being used for competition, I would only use "fresh"....just my .02

Buy smaller bottles of sauce and use fresh for your competitions. Here's my reasoning and it's just simple math. I'm not sure what sauce you're using but I'll use Blues Hog as an example. A gallon costs $25. 4 quart containers total costs $27. That's a $2 difference. I would personally not let $2 stand in my way of having fresh sauce when I'm competing for hundreds or thousands of dollars in prize money.

If you want to freeze it transfer it to vac bags and vac seal it. Alternatively, use freezer Ziplocs and get rid of as much air as possible.

Commercial sauces aren't all that 'fresh' tasting to begin with (which is one reason I dislike them). Properly frozen the sauce will be virtually indistinguishable from a new bottle.

I just throw it in mason jars and freeze accordingly. Never had an issue with rogue flavors in there.

Usually make sauce in batches, and freeze several jars at a time.

Back