pomegranate molasses help...please

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
This post is about a project of mine...pomegranate molasses. I can’t recall what got me started on it, but if I had to guess I’ll bet it was something Kevin posted.

Anyways, I spent a few months scouting out possible local sources of this ingredient, and finally got a hit at a middle eastern grocer. They had something called “concentrated pomegranate juice” with “baroody” written on the bottle (brand?). I grabbed it unsure that this is exactly pom molasses but figured it couldn’t be far off. Since purchasing the bottle, I’ve found two new sources of actual pom molasses (one even more convenient) so I’m confident I’ll be able to restock with genuine stuff.

In the mean time, question one = is pom juice concentrate the same as pom molasses?

After collecting dust for a few months, I finally got around to doing something with it. Awhile back I grilled some lamb with a Moroccan spice rub and finished them with a fig glaze( http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn455/jbiesinger/IMG_0937.jpg ] http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn455/jbiesinger/IMG_0937.jpg [/URL]) . I decided to try the same spice rub with a pom glaze.

The rub includes: coriander, cumin, black pepper, ginger, cardamom

For the glaze I started with the pom concentrate and some pom vinegar. I felt the mix had a bite, and found that it could be tamed with a bit of sherry vinegar (weird right?). Kind of a late idea came into my head, so I browned some shallots and deglazed the pan with the pom mix.

I rubbed the lamb chops, grilled them on a grill pan, rolled them in the pom glaze and tossed the pan in the oven.

The results were pretty good, but I kept thinking somehow it could have been better.

Question two = what could I have done differently?

I did a bit of research AFTER I ate the chops and found a recipe by Jim Tarantino for a Ginger Pom glaze that sounds good that I might try. From that recipe I thought lemon might have helped the glaze.

In the mean time, question one = is pom juice concentrate the same as pom molasses?
I did some online searching and reading and it seemed to me they may not be quite the same thing.

Juice concentrate to me would mean a wide range of possible hydration levels and may be pressed juice. But I found at least one reference to pom molasses as being whole seed, mashed & cooked down, seeds strained at some point. HTH

I've been checking out the viscosity of pom molasses when ever I find it. from what I can tell without a direct comparision, the stuff I have isn't as viscous, but its just a guess. probably it isnt as boiled as long.

J,
Can you tell what country the concentrated pom juice came from? It might help when researching.
Lance

Pomagranate molasses is significantly thicker than pomegranate concentrate. It is as Shawn described.

Lance, its labeled "product of lebanon"

Kevin, that about sums up the difference I suppose. Molasses could be thinned some to lessen its sweetness and concentrate could be reduced some if needed. Its a matter of sweetness preference then.

Pretty much. Texture might be a consideration but probably not often.

I use pom molasses pretty often. The sourish sweetness works well in so many places. Tamarind paste or concentrate is another with similar qualities.

Tamarind paste or concentrate is another with similar qualities.

I bought a block of tamarind a while back after trying an excellent tamarind dipping sauce out at a thai place. It sat around for a year plus until my recent experiment with DIY worchestershire. Its an amazing ingredient, I was eating it straight up and enjoyed every face-puckering minute of it. You're right (thinking about it now) that they (pom and tamarind) are similar. Both are amazing, and seem perfect for big, bold grilling applications, its surprising that one doesn't see them used more often.

I know. Many people (particularly many barbecuers) stick to the same sorts of stuff (apple juice, cider vin, et al.). Also try, if you haven't, amchur (also spelled amchoor)--dried ground unripe mango--as a souring agent with some good fruity quality.

Kevin, thanks for another great lead, amchur sounds cool, I'll be sure to investigate it. I think it was one of your comments that got me into pom molasses too.

Probably. I use it a lot and have referred to it here often. (This came to mind but there are several.)

I get amchur from WorldSpice. Sumac is another, somewhat similar souring agent with fruit tones.

I get amchur from WorldSpice. Sumac is another, somewhat similar souring agent with fruit tones.

this weekend, I'll be shopping pittsburgh's strip district that has a high concentration of ethnic markets, and next weekend I'll be in nyc checking out places like kalustyans which appear to stock it.

I've used sumac in lebanese salads (fattoush), I like it there, where it seems to lend some authenticity, but I'm not sure how I would incorporate it into grilled meats. I guess I'll add it to my list of things to look into.

Good in some rubs, especially for lamb, chicken and bison. For some things I either make zatar with it, or keep it plain, and use it as a sprinkle when plating, more served on the side, especially for lamb or shrimp.

I noticed you used zatar in the above dish. I thought it might be a nice change (instead of paprika) on grilled pita. We have a nice lebanese bakery locally. we like to toast/grill her bread to accompany hummus or baba ganoush. I usually dash some smoked paprika on them before, but maybe zatar will find its way into the dish.

Smoked paprika is nice on grilled bread but lacks depth. Fine when the other things served have it or just to add smoky nuance (I use it a lot that way). Try one zatar or another instead, especialy if the meal is of a cuisine from the Levant or Persia (where sumac would be included in the blend)--but the herb-y 'green' zatars are nice too.

(Add a touch of smoked pap to boost the grilled flavors if you wish.)

Just wanted to offer another source if you are looking for amchoor, pom molasses, smoked paprika, sumac, lingham's in one place. They also have a store in the Grand Central Terminal in NYC and another store in Ardmore, PA farmers market.

They have large variety of "uncommon" ingredients that I previously would have to trapse all over for. Prices could be a little better perhaps but finding everything pretty much in one place is convenient.

Between this store and the bulk spice dealer in Havertown, I can pretty much find what I need. Otherwise I run down to the ethnic stores in Philly.

Adriana's Caravan

Back