What thickness for ribeyes?

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
I bought a boneless ribeye roast and I will be slicing it into steaks. I want to sear them over the chimney starter and then finish them over the grill. I need the doness to range from medium to medium well. What thickness should I cut the steaks? I was thinking about 1 1/2" to 2".

I think 1 1/2 is the usual for me. For me, once I go thicker I have to cook slower so the doness (is that a word?) is consistent throughout the steak. I don't like it when it's overdone near the outside and pink in the middle

Howard

My plan is to cut the steaks to 2" thickness, sear over half a chimney of lump for about 3 minutes per side, then finish indirect. If I do it this way I'm thinking that it will only take another 5 to 10 minutes indirect to get to medium/medium well. After the sear I imagine that the inside will be rare.

2" seems a bit thick. certainly you can do it, but its going to take awhile on indirect to get it to medium.

I think 1.5" is standard for fillet (at least that's what I saw alton brown cut his tenderloin at). I find 1.5" is the minimum thickness needed in order to sear and be med-rare inside. I could go thicker, but then you lose your crust to meat ratio.

I just did a 1.5" delmonico (bone-in ribeye) for 5 min a side in a very hot pan, and it took another 10-20 min to get up to 135* in a 350* oven.

Back