Grilled Whole Beef Tenderloin

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
I am going to be grilling a whole beef tenderloin and was looking for some recipes/techniques/ideas. I was thinking of marinading and dry rubbing or dry rubbing and wrapping in bacon or some combination of the three. Any one have a go to recipe for tenderloin?

Me, love bacon but not into bacon-wrapped anything (except ABTs). One gets no meat caramelization, something I prefer rather than just having the bacon cook but the meat underneath not develop good surface flavors.

And, you know me: salt-and-pepper-only is not something I ever do.

Marinating won't really work unless you pierce the meat all over and well, and allow time. Fine, but not my preferred way, which is to either make a paste rub of fresh herbs and garlic and green and white peppercorn, or to do a paste rub with a dry rub over it.

My 2 cents.

Here is very old standby method I have used whole beef tenderloin on the grill. It works in the oven as well. If you start the oven at 500 and lower it after 20 mins.
Trim and tie the tenderloin. Coat with Olive Oil and salt & pepper. I fire my grill with a good amount of lump and bank it all to one side.
Sear the tenderloin all sides, then indirect and pull it off at 121 degrees. Cover with foil while resting. Slice it thick. I like it rare to med-rare. Serve it with a tarragon and shallot butter.
I only use fresh Tarragon. Dried does not work for me. Mince up some shallots and saute them 'till soft. Let them cool and add them and chopped tarragon to softened butter. I also like serve a Dijon/Mayo/Horseradish sauce on the side if people don't want the tarragon butter.

Thanks for the input guys!

Kevin, when you apply the paste rub do you let it sit or do you rub the meat, light the grill, and then put on the meat when it gets up to temp? I was thinking about rubbing the night before and putting it in the fridge until ready to cook. I have fresh basil, oregano, parsley, and rosemary. I am thinking a combination with some garlic, olive oil, and some peppercorns (I have a 4 peppercorn mix). Would the rub overwhelm the meat if I let it sit too long?

I rub and then let it sit a couple hours on the counter, or I let it sit then rub. Whatever is convenient. Sometimes it is more convenient to rub in the morning, say, and I'll do that, removing it a couple hours before cooking.

I don't think it will be overwhelming, no, but that sort of thing is subjective. Me, I'd go with 2-3 T each of the basil, oreg and parsley, 1-2 of the rosemary, 1 garlic, 2 Dijon, 3-4 of the pepper (crush or coarsely grind, don't grind finely) and just enough oil to makie it a paste. I'd salt first.

Back