New stoker owner...

Alan D

TVWBB Super Fan
I bought a used Stoker today, from the same guy I bought a WSM from yesterday...turned out he had a Stoker that he wasn't going to sell, but I prodded him with an email yesterday after I got home, and he agreed today to sell it to me.

It had version .5 on it, but I just updated it to version 2.0.259.

I paid him $125 for the Basic System Plus (including the Food Temp Sensor) and the WSM mount. He sold me the WSM that had only been used a couple times for $120 yesterday.

Nice way to get a reasonable price on a smoker w/stoker for me.

This is so cool to have inet access to my smoker, that just cracks me up...

Yeah, I'm pretty happy about the deal he did with me. Nice guy, even though he didn't clean the WSM, it's not hardly used.

Now I need to get some sleep so I can shop for a hunk of meat to test it with tomorrow/today, whatever it is...
icon_wink.gif

I tested it with the fan outlet on a laptop I have, it's got an AMD processor in it and that thing spins all the time...I could set it for 90 degrees, and it's about 72 degrees in the room.

The fan does short bursts until the temp reaches the 90 degrees. Pretty well thought out unit.

I am not clear on the Alarms and such yet and/or how to shut it off when the meat reaches a it's temp...will revisit when I awake...

Alan, that's a hell of a deal. It came with the blower and three probes huh? WOW.

Have you downloaded Stokerlog yet? If not it's a must. Most Stoker owners use Stokerlog vs. the Stoker web interface. The alarms are pretty straight forward. On the pit you have a low and a high temp. setting, on food you have a "target" that will notify you when the product is done. It's pretty much setup and walk away . . . although I will admit even with my Stoker I'll pull-up a chair, a cold beer and sit by my WSM and just watch/listen to Stoker do it's thing.

Enjoy combining the great hobby of smoking with technology, I love it!

Not sure if you are new to WSM and the Stoker. If so I would recommend doing your first cook using the Stoker interface on the device itself. You will have enough going on figuring out how to get the probes installed, fire going, naming blower/probes and setting it up. Getting the Stoker on your network and using the website or Amir's program adds another element that I would suggest saving until your second cook. Of course once you start using Amir's program you will never go back (it is truly amazing).

Larry,

It only has 2 probes, one for the pit, and one for the food. But the WSM has the eyelets for them to go through, I haven't set everything up yet.

I normally don't use Windows, one of my problems using Amir's program, but I have Windows on a laptop I can boot up if I need, or I think thinking it might be possible to run it inside of Virtual Box possibly...

Thing is, he sold me the unit for about $.50 on the dollar, so that in itself is a savings for me as I was already wanting to get the Stoker anyway.

I built an office in my backyard, where I have all my computers for the most part, and all I have to do is run an ethernet out the window and whola, problem solved.

I need some meat, I just awoke, thinking about a brisket possibly, with a chicken for tonight.

I can see the value in having another probe though, to be able to monitor 2 different pieces of meat. It's not clear if 2 probes will fit through one eyelet.

Thanks for the help and advice all have given over the past couple months, I've been waiting for some extra cash to get a WSM, and this solves not just the WSM, but the Stoker as well.

The Stoker seems like a well thought out device, I just need to figure out how an Alarm can turn off the pit, that's not clear yet.

How does that happen, can someone explain?

The .5 manual the owner gave me a hard copy of, talks of "Setback" mode, where it turns the pit off when the meat is done. I'm not clear how to do that, and the version 2 manual I downloaded doesn't seem to mention that.

The alarms on stoke just beep. They do not take any other action.

If you use my program however, you can have the food alarm for example, to lower the fire temp so that your food stays warm and keep cooking (it can also send you email/text message, etc.)

Amir,

I might look at your program, but getting it setup right now. I can monitor it for the time being, I'm testing out a heiny-in-'ya-heiny-chicken...it was a choice between bud light or a heiny, and a heiny-in-'ya-heiny just has a ring to it...

however, tonight I will kick off a packer around midnight...possibly, I need to get some rub on that soon...

I'm feel handicapped in setting this up, the instructions are not clear on too much stuff, but this is a way cool device, IMO...I like it.

I'm off to get my wiring setup in the backyard...*lol*

It seems to be working ok, but it doesn't want to allow me to access over the web interface...???

Seems to be doing it's thing though.

Is the loss of the httpd server a common occurrence?

I could monitor with the browser, but now it seems to be not responding...

Back