Bacon

Michael Wise

Few questions/thoughts...
Skin...
I've read both keeping it on and taking it off...
I took it off... threw it away... but I was wondering... has anyone fried the cured/smoked skin into pork rinds? Would it work?

I just made my first batch of the maple bacon smoked with some apple wood...
Should I of used maple wood? I don't have any chunks, but have hardwood for furniture/cutting boards I make... would that work as well? Will think about that for next batch.

It smells ridiculous... I'm putting in the fridge now... will slice and cook up some tomorrow AM... I'll take some pictures of it before/after slicing and after frying for all to enjoy and post them tomorrow...

Yes to your first question. (I also smoke it skin on and leave the skin on after smoking. I like the texture when sliced and cooked.)

You can use maple wood, or not. I rarely make sweet bacon myself, but some woods read a bit more sweet than others, sugar maple being one of them. You can use the wood you use for projects as long as it is untreated.

Enjoy your bacon.

Here are some pics...

Fresh bread...
IMG_3948.jpg

Sliced bacon...
IMG_3947.jpg

And finally breakfast... vanilla bean french toast and fresh bacon...
IMG_3951.jpg

My preference is for apple over anything else.

And yes, without some eggs what will you dip your bacon into?

I used apple for my first batch, and will use it again.

I trimmed the skin off. I found this to be a really good idea on my second batch since the skin still had a few nipples on it.

Just a question to you, Jon. Just because I do not understand this.
We're using pork belly. Pigs have nipples, so pork belly has nipples. It's kind of natural, and unavoidable, really.

I've seen several videos where makin' bacon is the issue, and the viewers are warned about this "nipple problem". The host is making faces to show that nipples are descusting, and tell you that they can be "cut away". I've also seen posts on this forum where people will not eat home made bacon because there are nipples on it. As if meat processing plants have access to pork belly without nipples..

What's so disgusting about pig nipples? They are not unsanitary, poisonous or anything Nor do they taste anyhing special.
This is not ment as a critisism, or to imply that you have the same meanings as different hosts on TV shows, but as you mentioned the nipples, so I wonder.
icon_smile.gif

I like to keep the skin on, because I like the texture. I guess it's better to cut of the rind/skin before you smoke if you are going to remove it before serving.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geir Widar:
Just a question to you, Jon. Just because I do not understand this.
We're using pork belly. Pigs have nipples, so pork belly has nipples. It's kind of natural, and unavoidable, really.

I've seen several videos where makin' bacon is the issue, and the viewers are warned about this "nipple problem". The host is making faces to show that nipples are descusting, and tell you that they can be "cut away". I've also seen posts on this forum where people will not eat home made bacon because there are nipples on it. As if meat processing plants have access to pork belly without nipples..

What's so disgusting about pig nipples? They are not unsanitary, poisonous or anything Nor do they taste anyhing special.
This is not ment as a critisism, or to imply that you have the same meanings as different hosts on TV shows, but as you mentioned the nipples, so I wonder.
icon_smile.gif

I like to keep the skin on, because I like the texture. I guess it's better to cut of the rind/skin before you smoke if you are going to remove it before serving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geir,

This is only my second time making bacon, and I've skinned the belly both times. Commercial bacon doesn't come with it on over here, as I assume it's either inedible or really hard. It seems like the consensus is to cut it off first to allow more smoke and cure penetration.

As far as the nipples, I was really kind of joking. I'm not aware of any specific problem but I can tell you my wife didn't find them very appetizing. I was kind of shocked to see them. Not that I didn't know where pork belly comes from, just wasn't expecting it.

Well i do skin my belly before smoking aswell. Might try one batch to serve with it on,but lately even my fried belly(stekt fläsk) i remove the skin. And to me nippels isnt that atractive(on food that is) so i would remove em aswell. If i ever cooked a mermaid i might consider leaving them on for that authentic look
icon_wink.gif

Back