Slicing rare eye of round on a slicer

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
First time use of the hobart slicer I bought recently. I looked for/found a recipe for deli-style roast beef using eye of round.

5 1/2 lb eye of round gave me 3 1/2 lb of shaved meat.

Found one/did it rare (126o--rose to 132o).

In the fridge for ~ 30 hours. Time to slice.

Easier to do it in halves so cut it in half.

That half round wiggled and waggled and it was difficult to get a full slice on the slicer till I got near the pointed end of the half.

Most slices were 1/2 to 3/4's of a full slice. I was doing it at 1/32" to 1/16" thick.

I'm aware that most say to put meat in the freezer till it just starts to get solid and slice it but they don't do that at the deli counter.

Now, being on the rare side, it was still on the "wet" side vs what you get at a deli counter (generally brown all the way through ie "well done" not medium rare to rare).

Ya think that's why I couldn't get a full "non-wobbly" cut?

The "wobble" is pretty common when trying to slice that thin. Slicing slower can help but I just try to ignore it. When I'm shaving a ham or slicing a roast very thin, I usually have to turn the meat over a couple of times to keep a uniform cut. My slices tend to get thinner at the end of the cut.

Originally posted by Jeff Brown (KY):
The "wobble" is pretty common when trying to slice that thin. Slicing slower can help but I just try to ignore it. When I'm shaving a ham or slicing a roast very thin, I usually have to turn the meat over a couple of times to keep a uniform cut. My slices tend to get thinner at the end of the cut.

EXACTLY what I found out. Good to know and thanks for the confirmation.

Originally posted by Corey Elks:
how was the clean up on that hobart?

Not bad at all. The guards come off in three pieces and are easily washed as does the "slider".

While wearing cut-resistant gloves, I wipe the blade down with soapy water while wearing cut-resistant gloves while the guards are off. There wasn't much "crumble" underneath.

Then rinse with cloth and clean water. Then sanitize. Then spray a bit of food grade oil on a cloth and wipe the blades' cutting edge (about 1" in from the edge).

All in all, it gets easier (ie more confident) every time. Just have to remember to respect the blade and not get over-confident.

Back