Honey-measure by weight or volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Barnes

TVWBB Pro
I wound up smoking 6 turkeys (2 at a time)on the WSM at XMas. I used Shake's Honey Brine recipe exclusively. It calls for 1Cup honey per gallon of Brine. Honey is sold weight. Which do most of you use 1 cup or 8oz. by weight. Small thing but one that has bugged me! All answers and replies are correct.

I measure honey per the recipe. The recipes I've seen typically specify honey by volume. I think it is the convention in the US.

Yes, volume is the convention. Like many other dry goods packaged and sold by weight, volume applies to measurement for honey for recipes. You will occasionally see recipes specifying weight measurement (particularly for baked goods where precision is important) but in that case virtually every item in the recipe is measured by weight.

Thanks for the feedback. That's what I figured that the recipe was for one liquid cup. I sometimes get way too involved in things that really don't matter that much! I find myself thinking that water weighs 8.33lbs/gal. All I have to do is find the Specific gravity of honey and I'm set. As I said,way too involved. Just pour it in the measuring cup 'til you get enough!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back