Recipe For Smoking A Whole Chicken

Chris Mueller

I smoked the Thanksgiving turkey and it came out great. I'd have to look for the recipe but I believe it had a can of coke and apples in it. That's all I remember.

I'm thinking about doing a 7lb chicken this weekend but I need some recipe ideas. Any one have anything?

One I do every once in a while. Had something similar at a restaurant and recreated it. It's more of an appitizer but it works well as a main course too.

Spring rolls

Slaw
juice from 1/2 a lime
1/2 t Aleppo pepper or red pepper flakes
1/2 t chili powder
6 T rice wine vinegar
1 t sugar
6 T olive oil
S&P
3-4 large green apples, julienned
1 cup julienned carrots
1/2 cup sliced red onion
1 cup julienned cucumber
1 cup napa cabbage
1 T cilantro

Mix liquids first and then add remaining ingredients. Mix well and put in the fridge for an hour or so.

Season the chicken with a basic rub or just s&p. Smoke and shred. Place shredded chicken into wonton wrappers with some slaw and lightly fry in veg. oil. Serve with more slaw on the side and sweet chili sauce for dipping.

Hi Chris,
I've had good results brining larger birds to help keep them moist. I usually use a brine with salt and sugar but someone pointed this out and it sounds good: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0069052/m/8380093152

For the actual smoke, I usually rub with a variety of spices and herbs that I think go well with fowl:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>Garlic (crushed, but powder will work as well.)
<LI>Rosemary
<LI>Black and white pepper
<LI>Hungarian Paprika (for a little heat)
<LI>Cayenne (for a little more heat)
<LI>Cumin (a little goes a long way.)
<LI>Sage
[/list]
That's really more a list of my preferences than anything. I haven't specified proportions except for the Cumin as it is somewhat pungent and I prefer a subtle effect.

I usually mix the herbs and spices with enough peanut oil to make a sort of slurry that I rub all over the bird, inside and out. I think the oil helps to keep the bird moist during the smoke.

It's nothing special but I've never been disappointed with my results.

Back