Smoked Duck Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
We have a great souce for wonderful organic free range ducks and are comfortable w/ cooking duck in a variety of ways. However we want to try smoking one. I have had Chineese smoked tea duck, but want to try smoking one on the Weber.
Has anyone tried smoking a duck.
Please help!
Thanks

Do a search and you'll find several posts. Here are three: This is a gumbo recipe. I used my ducks which are very free-range (they come and go as they please) and not fed/fattened. They are very different from store-bought ducks or ducks fattened for market. I like to smoke them then use their meat in something else--like this gumbo. A fricassee is good too or mince the smoked meat and make it into a stuffing for ravioli or agnolotti.

This is a good one from Jeff Lowe.

This is another of mine made with a fatted duck and with a paste rub.

M D,
I smoke ducks around Xmas to use for Smoked Duck & Andouille Gumbo. Since I bone out the meat and make stock from the carcass,the consistency of the skin is of no concern to me.
-I slit the skin and steam them in a pot for a while to render as much of the wonderful fat as I can.
-I use a flavor brine for a couple of days in the fridge.
-Use the vertical stands for the smoke because I can get 4 ducks on the bottom grate this way.
-Smoke at 225-250 until you get a thigh temp of about 155-160.
This may be a little shy of done but since I cook the boned breat in gumbo and cook it some more,it's not an issue with me.
-If i am doing them as gifts i go to about 170 at the breast
and wrap them in foil so they stay warm for delivery. My friends usually wind up eating most of it before they can get it in the freezer.
-Last 2 years I have made confit from the thigh/leg quarters using the rendered fat but that is another topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back