Rib End Boneless Pork Roast

Billy W

TVWBB Member
I just picked up a Rib End Boneless Pork Roast and was interested is some cooking tips. Its only 2lbs, so I am not expecting a real long cook. I will be cooking tomorrow on my OTS 22.5. I figured cooked direct heat to sear for about 4-5 mins per side, and then move to indirect heat until it reaches 190-195? (most likely we will make it into pulled pork sandwiches)
Does anyone have any other cooking recommendations? Indirect heat first, then finish with a sear? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Billy

At that finish temp you'll likely be looking at dry meat.

This roast is not well suited for pulling.

Bring the roast to room temp first. Rub as you choose. Roast or smoke/roast at 275-325 to an internal of 140-145. Sear briefly, only if necessary, at the end. Rest 10 min, tented. Slice thinly to serve.

Thank you for the recommendation.

I went home, fired up about a full chimney of charcoal, waiting about 10-15 mins and then threw the roast on. I cooked indirect for about a hour, until the internal temp was 172 (140-145 just seemed low to me). Needless to say it was one of the best things I have ever cooked. Done perfectly on the inside with a nice crust on the outside.
I would say that this cook was a success.

Billy

Excellent. Glad it worked well for you.

140-145 isn't low. Your taste might be different but try it some time. Commercial pork is rather lean, especially loin and tenderloin. The lower temps allow these cuts to retain much more moisture. That pork requires higher internals to be done has been established as a myth for decades. Try it, especially on the leaner center cut pork loin or tenderloin.

I will difinately try that the next time. I was always under the impress that pork was the one that always had to be cooked thoroughly.

Back