French Fries

G

How do you folks prep your spuds for french fries? I just got my Waring Pro from Amazon and want to make some fries tomorrow.
Do you cut 'em and fry 'em, or soak in water first? Flavored water anyone? What's your favorite dippin sauce? Something other than salt?
Potatos are so expensive I'd hate to experiment /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cut them into fries of your preference, then soak in ice water for at least 30 minutes. Drain them and then roll them in a kitchen towel to remove as much water as possible.

The secret is to double-fry them. When you start preparing the meal, fry the potatoes in batches just until they're starting to get soft, but not brown. Remove them to a platter. THEN, right before you eat, run them through the fryer a second time. THAT will get you some of the best french fries you ever ate. They'll brown and crisp up very quickly that second time through, so watch them.

Guaranteed great results!

Keri C, still smokin on Tulsa Time

Bob,

Keri C is right about the Double-Fry method.
There are a couple of other things to consider like what type of fat to use in your fryer.
If you use a straight vegetable oil right out of the bottle or can, you will have some tasteless fries.
Click Here for some useful info.

Jim C

I do the Alton Brown thing (pg. 92 of "I'm Just Here For The Food).
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Cut the potatoes into even pieces using a mandolin.
<LI>Soak in water for a few minutes to remove excess starch, then drain and dry very well.
<LI>Fry small batches at 300*F until "floppy" and pale gold.
<LI>Place fries on "draining rig": a cooling rack turned upside down on top of paper towels (pg. 117). The paper towels wick away oil from the rack and fries.
<LI>Increase fryer temperature to 350*F.
<LI>Re-fry small batches at 350*F until golden brown.
<LI>Place fries on draining rig. Season with salt and pepper or garlic salt and pepper while still hot.
[/list]
A little Heinz ketchup on the side is the only condiment required! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

I'm with Chris on the Heinz thing....

For seasoning, instead of salt I really like seasoning salt, like Lawrys, HYs or Montreal Steak spice (let em sit a minute or two if you use that crunchy spice).

Here's an idea, how about using a little left over rub from the meat the fries are accompanying?
I'm thinking a little BRITU rub on the fries would be awesome.

I got my Waring Pro a couple of days ago and did some fries last night. They turned out really good. I used Canola oil and I thought that the fries were tasty. I was considering adding some beef fat to the oil, but there was a yellow placard in the box that stated "Do not use beef fat or lard". Not sure what the issue is, but I chose to take their recommendation since I thought is was safety related. Double fry method worked great.

The link to the Belgian Fritz web site was interesting. I spent some time in Mons Belgium near Brussels back in the 70's and ate my share of fritz. The mayo had a stronger lemon taste than what we are used to in the states. They did have ketchup and it was stronger also but mayo was king. They had a Sauce Americane that was kind of burnt orange color with specks of relish(I think) but not as popular as mayo or ketchup.

Back