In need of a GOOD thermo: ET-723 fails on first cook

Sameer Wahid

TVWBB Member
So I loaded up my OTS/Smokenator last night at 2AM with a 9.5 lb pork shoulder (it's still cooking), with the intent of using my new ET-723 to monitor temps.

I installed the grill probe and put the meat probe in the shoulder. Ran the wires through the top vent so as to not pinch them. Everything worked great until 8AM, when the grill probe alarm went off and the probe read close to 300F. After running to the grill, the dome temp (I have a Tel-Tru) was 220. I took the grill probe out of the kettle and let it cool: it still read ~ 180F on either port on the ET-732 (the probe was cool to the touch, and nowhere near 100F).

Needless to say I'm unimpressed that this happens 6 hours into my first cook. Is there a more reliable thermometer, particularly one available in Canada?

Just send it back and you get a new one.

Mine is 2 years old and gave up on me yesterday. The meat probe that is. Same fault reading as yours. But mine is the ET-73.

Had mine for a year with no issues other than losing signal 5 feet short of my couch from my cooking area.

I also think having the On/Off switch under the battery cover on the base unit is stupid.

JDH

Sameer, you might ant to get a replacement from where you bought it. (Ontario BBQ?) I had one that wasn't good and now I'm fine, though it will not work in my office - too much electrical interference.

Gotta go against the grain here, Ihave had my ET-732 for about 6-8 months now, and absolutley love it! I f you had problems with it on your first cook, return it for a new one! If Maverick (or the store you purchased it from) is worth anything,they will replace it no questions asked. Don't give up on your 732, mine has worked flawlessly every time I pull it out of the box!
Good luck,
Tim

I always have a back up or two. True Temp is a good manual therm, get one with a long stem and stick it in the lid if your Maverick doesn't want to cooperate. I have 2 Mavericks and I like them but alway have a back up!

Mark

That puts it inside the waterproof seal.

I seriously never thought of that !

Now I like it being there
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Hank B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I also think having the On/Off switch under the battery cover on the base unit is stupid.
That puts it inside the waterproof seal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well its not really waterproof,rather water resistant.

But still that is a poor design. The new 732 is just as water resistant and have the on/off on the outside.

Dont get me wrong the maverick is my go to thermo for all cooks that need temp/meat controll.

Mark that is the #1 thing to do. If you have problems with the signal. But it shouldent affect the temp readings at all.

I got my new 732 and this is a great unit for sure. And the probes are higher temp resistant.

To bad i cant change probes between the old and the new.
icon_frown.gif

I have mixed views on my 732, I like the features it presents but I've replaced 1 food probe and now 2 grate probes, not happy.

Back