Prime rib or choice rib roast?

BryanSW

First time hosting Christmas, and wondering if the prime rib is worth the extra cost. Gotta feed 6 people and leftovers would be nice. How much more per lb for true prime rib?

There's no set price. Prices are determined by your individual market area. Prime is always preferred if you can afford it.

Paul

I made a choice rib roast on the kettle rotisserie after Thanksgiving. I was good.

Even the choice was $44 at Wal-Mart for a medium size roast.

Expect to pay double the price for prime. Around here, I would expect to pay $8 to $9/lb for choice and $16 to $18 for prime rib.

Ordinarily, I'd say skip the prime and go for choice. But the decision is up to you. It will be good either way.

Earlier in the year, I happened to luck into finding prime roast {top sirloin} for about the same price as choice...$5 per pound. Oh my... was it good. It is the first time I ever bought larger, vac-sealed piece of prime. Top sirloin is usually very lean. This one had lots of marbling. I cut it up into 3 meals worth... a roast, a few steaks, and a few kabobs. My conclusion... once in a while it is worth it to splurge on something out of the ordinary.

Thanks for the help. Some interesting follow-up, I had a quick conversation with Alton Brown on twitter and he said he buys choice as prime has too much fat and then he dry ages for 10 days.

Good market here in town has choice @$9 and prime @ $13. Going w choice, we will see how it goes.

Back